raising rudder right?

sailingmania

i have just brought a brand new carbon tiller and extension for £100 gbp it is the xd one tiller and with any slight pressure it hits the traveller cleat, wdoes anyone have any sugestions, it does hit when sailing, am i allowed to glue a washer or two on the top rudder pintle to raise it up a few mm and then raise the retaining clip? or is the illegal? if so any other ideas?

Re: raising rudder gight?

Yes, you can:
Rule 15f
(f) The rudder pintles may be fitted with spacers to lift
the rudder head to allow the tiller to clear the deck
at the transom

I would suggest first looking at the gudgeons - if they are worn on the top, flip them over, that can lift the rudder enough (and also reduce some slop in the steering)

Does your tiller fit into your rudder tightly?

If not, put some tape on in to tighten it up, paying special attention to the bottom. Some tape on the bottom could help prop it up.

I have, however, seen some boats with gudgeons that are placed ridiculously low.

Turn your gudgeons (sp? - the black bits your rudder sits in) upside down. They wear down over time so you lose a little bit of lift. Turning them over raises the rudder and so tiller ever so slightly.

Re: raising rudder gight?

Yes, you can:
Rule 15f
(f) The rudder pintles may be fitted with spacers to lift
the rudder head to allow the tiller to clear the deck
at the transom

I would suggest first looking at the gudgeons - if they are worn on the top, flip them over, that can lift the rudder enough (and also reduce some slop in the steering)

urm its a brand new hull due to insurance claim, so gudegons are brand new and thankyou for that information, i wasnt expecting it to be lagal!

Does your tiller fit into your rudder tightly?

If not, put some tape on in to tighten it up, paying special attention to the bottom. Some tape on the bottom could help prop it up.

I have, however, seen some boats with gudgeons that are placed ridiculously low.

so because they are "oversized" so you have to sand the part that enters the stock so get a good fit!

Push the tiller into the stock & hold it up to the light, looking through the stock you will see none of the sides of the tiller head or top are square, you have to file to make fit the best you can. I made the same mistake of buying the genuine XD tiller, that hit the traveller cleat, after half the season it looked 5 years old the finish is poor, in the end I lashed out again & brought the rooster one, so much better its indescribable the difference.

Back