Pre or Post 1972 Sunfish

necarroll

I bought my Sunfish in the winter of 1972, and need to replace the rudder, tiller and centerboard. How can I tell if it is in fact a post 1972 model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The usual give-away is the rudder design. Up to 1972, the Sunfish had bronze and brass hull fittings for the rudder. Post-1972 boats used a new design with a stainless steel "U" shaped fitting (gudgeon) attached to the transom and a redesigned spade shaped rudder blade rather than the earlier spoon shaped blade.

There are at least three wood daggerboard designs but any of them will fit any fiberglass Sunfish.

Figure out what you have and then search this site for replacement parts. E-bay also has aftermarket parts, but some of them look rather questionable.

Hope this helps.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

up to 1972, the sunfish had bronze and brass hull fittings for the rudder. Post-1972 boats used a new design with a stainless steel "u" shaped fitting (gudgeon) attached to the transom and a redesigned spade shaped rudder blade rather than the earlier spoon shaped blade.
. . . . . . . . .

Attachments

• Pre-72 Rudder.jpg
    Pre-72 Rudder.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Post 72 Rudder.jpg
    Post 72 Rudder.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 42
I have the parts that you need - OLD or NEW Style.
These are official OEM foils and not the oak junk that is all over eBay.
Let me know what you need.
C.P. Burks
dinghyone at att dot com
817-266-7816
Fort Worth, Texas

Then your hull also sports a Hull ID in the upper right of the transom. That would confirm the model year precisely, not that it helps any more than your visual confirmation as far as parts are concerned.

Back