Plastic Bailer - Install new ball o-ring

Tom Smith

I just purchased a used (1987) sunfish with which to teach my granddaughters to sail. It was stored on the ground with the deck side up. The bailer scoop was filled with dirt which I've removed and I've cleaned the scoop. The soft o-ring on which the ball seats is out and loose. I purchased a new ball and o-ring, but cannot get the o-ring installed. Is there a trick to seating the new o-ring? I can't find a manual or any instructions. Thanks for any help. :)

Tom,

Installing a new "O" ring in a plastic bailer assembly is a royal pain in the stern, but with a little patience it can be done by most mortals. If you have a pair of long nose pliers, fold the "O" ring in half, hold the folded ring gently in the tip if the pliers and insert into the assembly. Let the ring unfold slowly and gently snug it in place with a rounded screw driver shaft. You will swear at first that it will not fit, and it may take several attempts, but it will eventually seat properly and you are there. Good luck. This task beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but not by much.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back