Phantom rudder question

Thread starter #1
I have a 82 phantom sailboat that I am restoring...the rudder system is such that it fits on the gudgeon ..I think it's called.....by gravity alone and we just hope it doesn't come off...does anyone know if there is a clip or another part that assists it in place?? Thanks

baseman

On the Water
There should be a clip on the rudder head that locks the rudder to the gudgeon. I don't have my Phantom any more or I would take a picture.

L&VW

I have a 82 phantom sailboat that I am restoring...the rudder system is such that it fits on the gudgeon ..I think it's called.....by gravity alone and we just hope it doesn't come off...does anyone know if there is a clip or another part that assists it in place?? Thanks
Check with member Breeze Bender. He's got the answer to a lost Phantom rudder! ;)

Fullscreen capture 852018 72305 PM.bmp.jpg

Yes, I had a Phantom but I bought it with NO rudder. I couldn’t find a rudder anywhere. The Sunfish rudder doesn’t fit the Phantom unless you remove the gudgeon and add a Sunfish gudgeon- which means adding a port for the backing plate. It worked out well and I had some fun with that boat before selling it. It sounds like you, Ralphiechipper, have the rudder but are missing the clip on the gudgeon? Can you post a pic of your setup?

L&VW

Well, good on you! :)

You've got more skills than most males today. :rolleyes:

And I especially like your member-name. I've used "bending NH's breezes costs $47 a year" in another forum.

>

Thanks, L&VW, I appreciate that! I've learned ( and continue to learn) so much on this forum, from you and many others. Great stuff here!

Thread starter #11
Yes, I had a Phantom but I bought it with NO rudder. I couldn’t find a rudder anywhere. The Sunfish rudder doesn’t fit the Phantom unless you remove the gudgeon and add a Sunfish gudgeon- which means adding a port for the backing plate. It worked out well and I had some fun with that boat before selling it. It sounds like you, Ralphiechipper, have the rudder but are missing the clip on the gudgeon? Can you post a pic of your setup?
thanks lots for your reply...it's answered a month long question....I have found the clip which I originally had no idea where it came from...pop riveted it on the gudgeon and my sailing life became incredibly easier ...Thanks much...