Phantom rudder question

Ralphiechipper

I have a 82 phantom sailboat that I am restoring...the rudder system is such that it fits on the gudgeon ..I think it's called.....by gravity alone and we just hope it doesn't come off...does anyone know if there is a clip or another part that assists it in place?? Thanks

There should be a clip on the rudder head that locks the rudder to the gudgeon. I don't have my Phantom any more or I would take a picture.

I have a 82 phantom sailboat that I am restoring...the rudder system is such that it fits on the gudgeon ..I think it's called.....by gravity alone and we just hope it doesn't come off...does anyone know if there is a clip or another part that assists it in place?? Thanks

Check with member Breeze Bender. He's got the answer to a lost Phantom rudder! ;)

Fullscreen capture 852018 72305 PM.bmp.jpg

Yes, I had a Phantom but I bought it with NO rudder. I couldn’t find a rudder anywhere. The Sunfish rudder doesn’t fit the Phantom unless you remove the gudgeon and add a Sunfish gudgeon- which means adding a port for the backing plate. It worked out well and I had some fun with that boat before selling it. It sounds like you, Ralphiechipper, have the rudder but are missing the clip on the gudgeon? Can you post a pic of your setup?

Well, good on you! :)

You've got more skills than most males today. :rolleyes:

And I especially like your member-name. I've used "bending NH's breezes costs $47 a year" in another forum.

>

Thanks, L&VW, I appreciate that! I've learned ( and continue to learn) so much on this forum, from you and many others. Great stuff here!

I’ve still got the Phantom gudgeon, if that’s what the original poster needs, but ralphiechipper hasn’t replied with further details.

Yes, I had a Phantom but I bought it with NO rudder. I couldn’t find a rudder anywhere. The Sunfish rudder doesn’t fit the Phantom unless you remove the gudgeon and add a Sunfish gudgeon- which means adding a port for the backing plate. It worked out well and I had some fun with that boat before selling it. It sounds like you, Ralphiechipper, have the rudder but are missing the clip on the gudgeon? Can you post a pic of your setup?

thanks lots for your reply...it's answered a month long question....I have found the clip which I originally had no idea where it came from...pop riveted it on the gudgeon and my sailing life became incredibly easier ...Thanks much...

Back