Painting hull

Clyde

Does anyone have any feed back for me as to what kind of paint I should use? I am repairing blisters/bubbles and filling, now need to resurface. Is Imron a good choice? I tried some gelcoat touchup a year ag or so and it was not durable. Suggestions welcome!

From what I've seen and heard, Awlgrip is the way to go in terms of durability and finish. Its is quite expensive though. I'm also currently in the process of prepping my hull. Gonna finish it with Awlgrip.

Awlgrip is the best, however it is pricey and like Endura and Imron (automotive paints) it is best sprayed. Another option is a brush on self levelling linear polyurethane paint (LPU). The lighter the color the less critical the surface prep.

Toplac (made by Interlux) is a relatively easy and affordable 1-part marine paint, but as with all paint over glass it's not going to be as durable as Awlgrip. I used Toplac on a rowing dinghy a few years back and it was a success. I don't think if would stand up to being dragged on a beach, however. Roll and tip is the method I used. Be sure to have the envornmental conditions right and follow the directions carefully. It can be disaster if you screw it up.
See: http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa//prod...plac.asp?ComponentID=9851&SourcePageID=6660#1

Clyde,

Also search the FAQ section of this website for information on painting a Sunfish hull. There is some good information there abour surfact prep and what products to use. A true, two part
epoxy paint will give you the most durable coating, but these products are tricky and need to be applied in ideal temp. and humidity conditions. Be very careful with application of some of the exotic paints like Imron as the funes can be toxic - a local marina guy in our area died a few years ago after prolonged exposure to paint fumes from products that he was spraying on boat hulls. Also consider the merits of re-gelcoating the hull. Gelcoat assures the best adhesion to the hull as it is chemically he same procuct that is being refinished. Gelcoat can be applied with a brush and then wet sanded to a like-new finish, and it not all that hard to work with after a little practice. If you have spray equipment, so much the better.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back