Options for poor deck and hull

Zrtsixx

I was just wondering about options that are available for a deck and hull that are in rough shape. I have read some of the posts on sanding and painting.
Does anyone "wrap" them? It kind of makes sense to me... it seems like it would be easier than going thru the steps to repair a bottom that is all skinned up (not cracked, just not smooth). Is the price the prohibitive factor? Or? I know that water may get in on the lower one, but I don't think it would be and issue for the top. Any thoughts?

Are you referring to wrapping the hull in vinyl, similar to wrapping a car with graphics? I've never heard of anyone doing that but it's definitely an interesting idea.

Wrapping a professional bass fishing boat's hull ( ~ 20 foot boat ) above the waterline is $3000 or so. Prolly can be done cheaper, but that's the going rate for quality work. So I doubt it's an option for Fish and Lasers.

I was just wondering about options that are available for a deck and hull that are in rough shape. I have read some of the posts on sanding and painting.
Here's a cheap answer to this problem:

Last season, I spray-painted the bottom of my Sunfish. It was outdoors and calm—but there still was too much wind—and turned out rough and crummy :confused: ; however...I'd filled in all the gelcoat roughness with automobile "body-filler"—from a tube. :cool: It's dark-red in color, and I was astonished :eek: how it has withstood so many hours of immersion without making itself apparent. The bottom had many deep scratches, especially along the keel: those are now invisible, and I am actually looking forward to painting it again in Spring! :)

Back