Opinions Requested - Laser Uk Vs Laser Aus

El vikingo

My daughter has to choose between a Laser UK model from 2011 or a Laser AUS model from 2008, - the price and other equipment is the same. Some have told us the AUS models from 2008-2009 are more rigid / "faster" ?!

Pleas provide me some advices / opinions (I looks to be the right forum for that :)

Thank you !!

BR El Vikingo

Hi El Vikingo and welcome.

There are stories that the AUS hulls are 'better' than the UK hulls and the UK spars are stiffer than the AUS spars.

In reality as long as both hulls have been taken care of and have no soft spots in them then go for whichever boat has the better level of quipment/sails in better condition.

You may find the 2008 boat has things like spare sails, Harken rigging as opposed to Holt rigging and a combi trailer (which would account for the price difference).

In my opinon 2 boats with same equipment but 2-3 years apart in terms of age should not be priced the same.

Also if you look in the FAQ thread there is a good guide on what to look for when buying a used Laser. You could also find someone local to you who is knowledgeable about Lasers and take them with you.

Good luck and hope she enjoys the boat whichever one you buy,

Paul

If your daughter wants to make it at any specified level, she needs to be able to make it using the same equipment as the person she's competing against. You and she, shouldn't be looking at gaining an advantage through the use of equipment as once you get to an event where the equipment is supplied that advatage will be gone.

Thank you for valuable and interesting inputs, - all included in the decission pocess, just finalized. BR El Vikingo

Back