Nifty idea

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
I saw these in this month’s Family Handyman, and just ordered a set of 8 of them. I’m thinking I’ve finally found an inexpensive racking platform tor the few remaining boats in my fleet!

Five gallons converts to 20 quarts or 19.927 liters.

Hmmm, they don't mention 6-gallon buckets. Some take the same lids as the 5-gallon, but I'm not sure of the base size. I think the base is the same. Buckets used for drywall are the easiest to clean.

In Florida, fresh ones are found on the sides of 2-lane country roads, where wind gusts (from pickup trucks heading in the opposite direction) have lifted them out of the beds of other pickup trucks. :confused:

Test the durability of your bucket collection by pressing on the ribs near the top. If they break off under thumb pressure, that bucket probably shouldn't be used.

This plastic (whatever it is) actually "rots". :oops:

Five gallons converts to 20 quarts or 19.927 liters.

Hmmm, they don't mention 6-gallon buckets. Some take the same lids as the 5-gallon, but I'm not sure of the base size. I think the base is the same. Buckets used for drywall are the easiest to clean.

In Florida, fresh ones are found on the sides of 2-lane country roads, where wind gusts (from pickup trucks heading in the opposite direction) have lifted them out of the beds of other pickup trucks. :confused:

Test the durability of your bucket collection by pressing on the ribs near the top. If they break off under thumb pressure, that bucket probably shouldn't be used.

This plastic (whatever it is) actually "rots". :oops:
Thanks! I’ve been pondering whether it might be fun (I’m a science nerd) to find something that I could form in a mold to use in place of the buckets, for different weight, sustainability, configurations….

Home Depot carries them in bright orange with Home Depot logo: Try this weekend's Labor Day Internet sales.

Last I saw, they were $3 each. Sometimes, one bucket is free with a $ purchase.

ETA: The recycle symbol is a number "4".

Keep them out of the sun or they'll deteriorate. (Theres a lot of sun in Florida). :) Signs of ultimate collapse will be pieces breaking off.

If I have leftover and otherwise-useless paint, I'll take the brush or roller and give the buckets a quick coating of varnish or "whatever" color.

Back