new/slightly used hull

Matt B

my deck has been delaminating at an alarming rate for the last 2 years now and its now got to the point where i have 2 options scrap it or repair it and sell it i dont like repaired decks on a laser so because you can always see the repair myself and my boss have tried many times with coustomers boats to get the grip perfect but have only ever got it something like repearing it would mean either sanding the gell off with the dremel or putting in an inspecton hatch and grinding away the fibreglass thats another thing i cant stand inspection hatches on boats that are not manufactured with them yes i know im really fussy so the hull has to go. my question is though has anyone on here imported a hull from Australia or the US to the UK and how much did it cost to import it and where did you buy it from as Australian and American hulls are stiffer and laid up better than the uk ones they are also even gelcoated in the centerboard slot how classy is that? and a complete boat is a whole £685 cheaper in the US so i assume that means the hull will be cheaper on its own has anyboduy got an email address for laser US or laser AUS so that i can contact them directley for a qoute.

1. PSA and the US branch of LP aren't allowed to sell Lasers in the UK.

2. Historical info on this forum indicates that it's difficult to buy just a hull. I am not sure whether that's still true today however, with LP in presumed financial difficulty.

Tell us if you find out differently..

yes LP are ammoast definatley in financial difficulty but its there fault they braught it on themselfes by getting rid of the dealers apart from 5 none in the north of the country and therefore making genuine laser parts rare as hens teeth and not having any in stock themselfes so now lasers are loosing popularity the price of used boats is also going up at an alarming rate too due to the parts being worth so much supply and demand. There is a larger concentration of boats in the uk than in the US so i would imagine the problem is not as bad in the US especialy as there are still a large number of laser dealers in the US. There's half a row less at my local sailing club within the last year. In the uk you can buy hull only loads of people do it and i know of a few people who have imported boats basicaly you get someone in the us to go pick the new boat unpack it check it and pack it back up in different packaging and then send it to the uk as a used item to avoid vat works out loads cheaper than buying a uk built laser especialy if it is purchased in certain states although i dont know the names of the states. ill let you know if i can get a used;) hull only from the US to import although i was looking at a british built 200000 numbered boat in work today and it looks a dam sight better than the old ones must have got new moulds cant see the bottom of the mast pot anymore and it looks like they have geled inside the centerboard slot too and on the edges of the gunnels so the uk hulls are looking as good as the US and AUS hulls now but i think its still cheaper to import one even with the cost of shipping.

Have you owned the boat since new? If so contact LPE as they might be able to help (manufacturers warranty lasts about 10 years as long as you are the original owner). I had a similar problem on my 3 year old laser a couple of years ago (deck grew hand sized bubbles and went very soft), LPE admitted it was a manufacturing fault and offered to redeck the boat for free or replace the hull only at a discounted rate. Might be worth a call if you have owned the boat since new.

my boat is a 1997 and i am the second sort of third ownerish it used to belong to noble marine and i baught it off the guy who used to sail it because when noble marine finished sponsering they let the sailors keep the equiptment and he sold it to me the boat was fine when i baught it apart from the usual bit of trolly rash and chips and scratches. so even though it is a manufacturing problem the garauntee is out of date anyway. oh well just getting qoutes for new hulls also thinking of buying another boat just for the hull and then selling off the surplus equiptment.

Back