New dock stand

steffenme1

I know that this forum has a general dislike for keeping/storing Sunfish upright however I've decided mine would live at the dock for easy access as I hate having to trailer it. With that in mind I set about making a small sling type stand for it rest upon.

The wood is Spanish Cedar, a member of the Mahogany family and a real nice wood to work with. All joints were made with West epoxy and the pocket holes filled with tinted epoxy then sanded flush, then the whole shebang was sealed with Spar Urethane. The sling is 2" heavyweight Polypropylene attached with the same clips used to make chairs.

My Sunfish looks a bit lonely in these photos but the dock it's on actually has about a dozen other Sunfish, they're just behind and to the left of where I was standing, so it's in good company.

Sorry for the slightly crappy pics:

Very nice, but would a dolly not accomplish the same?

It would, in fact I sort of modeled the stand after a dolly, but dolly's are expensive and my little stand cost me very little in materials and my labor is (theoretically) free so I felt like it was a cheaper option.

Ooh, and nice boat ramp. Where is that at?

The dock is very nice, despite my crappy picture it's actually quite large and well kept, it's located in Canyon Lake, TX at LCYC - http://lcyc.net/

Back