My First Question

Defiance

It finally quit raining and I opened the sail that came with my new Laser XD. The sail did not have any numbers on it. There is a tag stitched to the sail that says "new numbers 3.5". What's up?

Not sure what the "new numbers 3.5" means (I think the sail is 3.5 oz. cloth), but you basically need to stick the numbers on yourself. There should be a sticker at the back of the cockpit with your number. If you bought a new boat, it probably came with a bunch of "digital 8" numbers that you cut to your number. Personally, I prefer the pre-cut "euro" style numbers. Scroll down towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.apsltd.com/c-2311-laser-sailsbattenssailbags.aspx

Everything you need to know about how to apply them is right here:

https://www.apsltd.com/CustomDocs/Blog/LaserSailNumberingInstructions.pdf

Thanks torrid. The numbers were right where you said. 200618
I like the Euro style better myself.
I mostly sailed Hobies and they came with numbers already on the sail.
I will get the numbers ordered tonight.
Again, thanks for the help.

New Numbers 3.5 refers to the weight of the sailcloth. The sticker was applied to heavier weight cloth sails when they were first released in the mid 80's. Sail numbers have never been supplied on new sails, unless your laser equipment supplier offered it as an additional service (often free).

ILCA Rule 4.b states: "Sail numbers from 131000, sails purchased after 1st June 1993 and new sails stamped “New Numbers” shall have numbers that are clearly visible with the last four digits of the number in one dark, distinctive colour or black and any preceding numbers in a different, contrasting, distinctive colour (red is recommended)."

before this rule, all the numbers were the same colour.

andrew r

ILCA Rule 4.b states: "Sail numbers from 131000, sails purchased after 1st June 1993 and new sails stamped “New Numbers” shall have numbers that are clearly visible with the last four digits of the number in one dark, distinctive colour or black and any preceding numbers in a different, contrasting, distinctive colour (red is recommended)."

before this rule, all the numbers were the same colour.

andrew r

I saw this rule and ordered my sail numbers accordingly. I went with last four in black and first two in red. Thanks.

Back