Mast Retainer?

kyleRYC

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to make about 25% im thinking of the mast retainer,

bungie same kind as you would use for the centerboard. Or make the mast retainer 100% bungie,

would this be a good idea? because I know a couple people who got their deck fittings

ripped out because of the rig. Would this be bad for the mast step? I have an 08 so its not an old boat

I run 100% 4mm shockcord, the shock cord is undet tension the whole time. IMO, using the shockcord takes away the shock loading that results in damaging the deck fitting, without impeding the functionality of the mast retainer i.e. it mast prevent the mast from falling out. The only hassle with this set up is you have to disconnect the vang to get onto the vang tang fitting, if putting rig in fully rigged.

Btw, the class rules only permit either a single line or a single piece of shockcord, not multiples and not a combination. "...a loose retention lineor shockcord (that will allow 180 degree plus mast rotation) shall be tied or attached ....."

Attachments

• Rigging 8.JPG
    Rigging 8.JPG
    785.2 KB · Views: 128
would it be legal to add a clip, maybe plastic, or metal with a shield, that might make it easier if its legal

Attachments

• mast-retainer.gif
    mast-retainer.gif
    262.4 KB · Views: 106
Having a clip would be legal, but like everything you really need to see it in real life to determine what you've come up with is legal.

You could just take a piece of line, tie a bowline to one of the loops in on the deck for the blocks and then tie a bowline around the vang tang. That way you can still rotate the mast without issue.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to make about 25% im thinking of the mast retainer,

bungie same kind as you would use for the centerboard. Or make the mast retainer 100% bungie,

would this be a good idea? because I know a couple people who got their deck fittings ripped out because of the rig.

The reason the fittings got ripped out is that the line was tight. The retaining line should be sufficiently long to allow the mast to rotate.

I like Alan's shock cord idea a lot. Whatever system you use, just make sure that the mast can't move up the tube by much because while it may not come out, there is a risk that the mast could break the tube and lift the deck off. The mast tube is very strong when the mast is all the way in, but it gets weaker every cm the mast foot moves up the tube.

Back