Mainsheet Vs rear corner

powergroove

Can I grind off the rear corners of my boat, and If I do what would be the consequesnces.
btw, old beater hull with no life and no racing career ever

Flame suit on....

It would be easier to spend 16hrs grinding in the 100 degree heat with 100% humidity then fairing, painting, and rejoicing in my accomplishment than to trim in the sheet a few feet....

Yes. In fact I'll bet a skilsaw would make short work of cutting the whole thing in two also. Both of these actions are highly discouraged. And grinding the corners will not keep the mainsheet from catching the corner of the hull.

I feel your pain. and no, you don't need to over-trim when you jibe either, one simple pump of the sheet as the boom crosses over your head should be enough to avoid the problem you're having. It takes a little practice, but you can learn it very quickly, and yes, it does work. It doesn't take a lot, in fact, if you pump the sheet too hard, the 'wave' you throw into the line may cause it to flip over the end of the boom and catch there. That's actually harder to clear than off the transom.

Relax, try again... and then take power tools to your boat. And as long as you're cutting, add a few holes for an outboard motor mount and some big stereo speakers. Be sure to post pictures. ;)

First off the probability to 1 of hanging the mainsheet is derived by multiplying the windspeed times the wave height and dividing it by your position in the race.

When sailing and desiring not to hang the mainsheet over the transom corner a sailor should trim the mainsheet as possible and appropriate during the beginning of the turn and then just as the sail switches sides, the sailor should reach as far toward the mid boom block as possible and yank the sheet .

This technique will guarantee a sailor who is winning a race in large waves and stiff breeze success the experience of any or all of the following:

looping the sheet over the end of the boom,
feeling the aluminum tube smack the back of the skull
Lacerating skin on the rivets
catching a lifejacket on the mainsheet block
Losing sunglasses overboard
twisting one or both knee joints
wrapping some sheet around the mainsheet block
hitting a chin on the centerboard
nearly dumping the boat and finally...

looking back to see the mainsheet caught on the wrong corner of the transom.

which may be followed by dumping while attemting to free the mainsheet from it's newly aquired turning blocks.

Note to those who have any of these problems:

God hates you and you will never stop doing this...ever!!!!

Can a sheet line that floats or doesn't take on a lot of water weight help with the problem? That way it is lighter and less likely to get submerged and pulled under the surface during the execution? Just an idea, and would cost less in time (maybe not money) than grinding, sanding, painting, waxing, polishing, and sweating...

Don't do it!!!! Your boat will leak and your ruining a laser for no benefit.

Take the time to learn the techniques that stop this happening. You'll go faster and your boat will be in much better shape!

There are also transom deflectors you can buy from laser. They're not legal for racing either but would stop you main catching without ruining a laser.

It was really just in jest as I was bored that day when I posted, but somedays I really do want to grind them off....
Im back on my medication now, so my corners are safe...for awhile

Back