mainsheet mess

dwb

Hi All;

I'm new to Laser sailing and have found a situation that constantly is a problem to me. WHAT THE HECK DO YOU DO WITH ALL THAT MAINSHEET SPAGGETTI ON THE FLOOR OF THE COCKPIT ALL THE TIME????? It is under knees, tangles in my feet, in my lap, gets overboard, and otherwise is a huge distraction to me.

Hopefully some of you can give me some techniques for managing this.

Thanks,

I shorten the main sheet length by tying the "standing end" of the mainsheet around the hiking strap just beneath the mainsheet block instead of the back of the cockpit the way most do.

I have found that as you become more proficient in the boat you learn to "make the time" to organize the rat's nest of loose line while beating upwind and even get it untangled before you get to the weather mark. This generally only comes as you spend more time in the boat and are more comfortable "getting your head out of the boat". You will develop a feel for the boat and don't need to spend as much time checking the sail shape and telltales

Keep kicking it off your feet till you're within 25-100 metres of the top mark depending upon how many boats are around you and the number of tacks still left, then worry about sorting it out so that you can cleanly round the top mark. No matter how much you spend on a mainsheet, it will almost always tangle. With experience, it's not something you worry about much as the tangle will fall apart easily if you're still going upwind, it will be an issue if you're started to head downwind and it's still a mess.

I took the self winder from an old vacuum cleaner and keep it in the cockpit. Just press the button. Works like a charm. ;) Not! I tie the bitter end at the back of the cockpit on the hiking strap fittings, then kick the mainsheet to the front.

Back