mainsheet block options and mounting

preston

ok i need a block. what are some of you using and is the best place to mount it above the hook on the cockpit lip? backer plate ? thanks

I use the Harken 019. It's mounted to the deck with the V10073 eye strap in the same location Vanguard mounts them at the factory. I used 1/4" plywood as a backer plate.

Do folks have trouble with the eye strap tearing through? Just changing the block shouldn't increase the force on the deck.

As long as you use a backer plate or even 3/4" wide stainless steel washers under the deck, the deck eye should not pull out. That section of the deck is pretty thick on most Sunfish hulls, but an alum. or wood backer plate or big washers is still a good idea.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

so it seems everyone pretty much uses the harken 019 block. ok ouch there goes 50 bucks. got to have it.

Preston

I have the 019 too. WELL worth the money. Don't forget to get the spring that holds it upright. I used a block of hardwood under and some big washers. The more you distribute the load underneath, the less chance you have of having it pull out. One final note: Unless you have a good orthopedic knee surgeon, take that hook right off of there!

preston said:
so it seems everyone pretty much uses the harken 019 block. ok ouch there goes 50 bucks. got to have it.

Preston

Actually, there are a few other options:

Harken carbo ratchamatic block. This block has a load sensing ratchet ($64). You can compare this to the 'classical' H019 (Harken) block and the ($58) Ronstan RF62100. All are approximate US prices.

Further info (pros and cons):
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3456

Back