Little Help Please for a Novice

SAMS0N

I am looking to purchase a used sunfish. This will be my first. I have my eyes on one that appears to in fairly good condition. There is a small 2-3" hole in the bottom of the hull. Appears to be purposefully added. The seller says a plug needs to be inserted. Is this a typical place for an access hole to be installed? This seems like an odd place to me. As I understand, access holes typically are placed on the topside or in the cockpit. Or, this hole for another purpose, of which I am unaware?

Thank you any assistance.

Is it in the cockpit of the boat? Could be where the bailer should be.

This picture is the back of my cockpit, showing the bailer (although I took the cap off). Mine is pretty old - the newer style bailer is plastic.

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 52
Yeah, I meant does it go through the bottom to the cockpit (like it would for the bailer). If not, then I'm not sure what it would be for.

OK. Could be part of the bailer system. I have only seen a couple other Sunfishes in person. One apparently mid 70's model and the other mid 80's. Don't recall a bailer system on the bottom of either boat. The one I am eyeing appears to be newer in age. Again, not an expert, but it has the newer hardware for the rudder. (With wood blades) Not sure exactly where on the timeline these factors place this boat.

Check on the diagram below. This is a view from the top of the boat, and inside the cockpit there is on the lower left side a plug. That is where the bailer is supposed to be. If this is the location of the hole you're talking, then all you need is a bailer (around $40) and no big deal. If it is elsewhere then....:( You need a repair which you may or may not want to do.
***Diagram stol----, I mean taken from the forums sponsors, Sunfish Direct.***

Attachments

• sunfish_deckview.jpg
    sunfish_deckview.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 44
OK. Could be part of the bailer system. I have only seen a couple other Sunfishes in person. One apparently mid 70's model and the other mid 80's. Don't recall a bailer system on the bottom of either boat. The one I am eyeing appears to be newer in age. Again, not an expert, but it has the newer hardware for the rudder. (With wood blades) Not sure exactly where on the timeline these factors place this boat.

Look or ask the seller to give you the hull number, which is located on the transom, or the back of the boat. Bring the number back to the forum and some people might be able to help you find the make and year (I believe is the last two digits). I know you can also find it on the web somewhere, but I don't have the site right now.

Check on the diagram below. This is a view from the top of the boat, and inside the cockpit there is on the lower left side a plug. That is where the bailer is supposed to be. If this is the location of the hole you're talking, then all you need is a bailer (around $40) and no big deal. If it is elsewhere then....:( You need a repair which you may or may not want to do.
***Diagram stol----, I mean taken from the forums sponsors, Sunfish Direct.***

...just another illustration

4624989911_887dcce3da_b.jpg

Back