light winds mainsheet

Lighter so doesn't drop so much when running in light airs

Thinner so less friction in the blocks when there is not much wind to push the sail out on bear aways.

what is the benefit of having a lighter mainsheet eg. 6mm rooster polilite?

sorry to sound amateur

If you're planning to get one, the rooster one you have mentioned is brilliant for it - if you curl up and hold the 6mm with the 7mm-8mm you really notice the difference, anal as it may seem, it makes quite a difference when running on those painful light wind days!

I had a few issues with the rooster politite 7mm the worst when jibing it would wrap itself round the boom end, swapped it with my sons xd lite main sheet & never had the problem again, the rooster rope definitely behaves differently to most other rope. Xd lite yes would definitely buy it again.

What about Paraloc Marlin?
I've heard decent things about this line. Supposed to hockle less and run smooth thru the older and the new LP mainsheet blocks.

I hated the original equipment Rooster 7mm when I first began sailing laser :confused: (I was a beginner) a little over 4 years ago. It was stiff and difficult and I needed things to be as easy as possible to allow me to be aware of as much as possible. I found the BUZZ Line excellent for this and still a great all around line. :p The 8 and 7 mm for heavy and light respective. Now almost 100 regattas later having used Maffioli, Buzz, Rooster, Marstron and Robline I've come full circle and use the Rooster Polite 7mm exclusively and intend to get a 6mm for light wind when I can afford it. I learned that if the line is difficult to use it's no good to you. :( So it's not a question of how good a line is until your experienced enough to know what you prefer. I use the smallest line possible for the wind strength because, YES, in light wind the larger line is harder to run through the blocks. ;)

the most important advantage is that Thinner so less friction in the blocks when there is not much wind to push the sail out on bear aways.

One very basic consideration is gloves - if you sail with decent gloves you can get away with a thinner mainsheet. I changed my mainsheet to Rooster's 6mm Polilite about a year ago just to test it out and haven't bothered to change it back to the 7mm version - that said, I always wear gloves but I find that the 6mm version gives a bit more 'feedback' and runs very freely through the blocks,

Nigel

By using a smaller main sheet, and lightweight lines you can actually save some weight. If you're lines absorb water its definitely a consideration since a few ounces might turn into pounds of extra weight.

Back