Laser slower on port tack

I just picked up a 1989 Laser in great shape. The sail is in 70 per cent shape. It is a newer class sail. The spars are like new and straight. The foils are just about mint. The deck has some flexing on the port side where you sit. The hull is fairly stiff for a boat of this age and stays dry inside. The boat is faster on starboard tack beating and on a reach. It feels like a different boat. I cant get a handle on this. The only thing I can think of is the mast rotation is not the same on both tacks. I have the old style down haul where the line runs down one side of the mast tang for the vang. I have raced beach cats for 20+ years and know alot about sail and boat trim. This is not me it is the boat. Can someone help me with this? Anyone have the same issue? Thanks

Beyond the obvious faults with the gear you've mentioned as not being wrong, I'd check the alignment of the rudder, centreboard and mast making sure that they are all vertical.

However I suspect it's more associated with how you're sailing the boat particularly if you're coming from another class. People have different leg strength which will impact on their hiking position, you might be sailing the boat flatter on one tack compared to the other. Wave patterns will also impact on how the boat will perform on each tack. Very few people are completely balanced when it comes to their boat performance.

I set the boat up today. I downhauled tight looped some line around the tack
and goose neck and tied it off. I slacked off on the downhaul alot and cleated it so the mast cant fall out. The mast now rotates the same on both tacks. Speed on my gps is now almost the same on both tacks. A tight old style downhaul will not allow the mast to rotate evenly. I can see the difference looking at my gps taped to the mast under the goose neck. On one tack I can read it on the other I cant. Fuller sail on one tack flatter sail on the other. I was on a pond with no current so gps readings are correct. It was blowing around 15mph. I hit 11.7 on a reach.

It could be a number of things, sounds like your sailing in significant current or the blades aren't in alignment

check the current by putting a 1/2-2/3 filled water bottle (so the bottle sinks slightly) in the water and observing it over time

to check the blade alignment you need to flip the boat upside down and sight it

Back