Laser Sailing Guide Spreadsheet

Hi,
I have been reconditioning an older laser (114441) and this site has helped enormously, from hull refinishing to rigging.

I will be sailing it at Narrabeen Lakes SC in Sydney, Australia.

One of the guides I got pointed to was a Laser Training Manual written by a Dr Anderson from Canberra Australia. This guide has so much information in it that I have put it into a spreadsheet to make it easier to access the information.

I have attached it here so that it might be of use to forum members to thank you for all the help and to promote a bit of discussion. If you have any opinions about any of the info there please comment.

Thanks Ian

Attachments

• Laser Settings.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 310
Thank you for posting this, Ian. I haven't had a chance to look at it all, but right away, I disagree with one of the settings. In 0-5 windspeed, you do want the vang tight, but the mainsheet should be eased so there is up to about 10 inches between the blocks.

Thanks for the great work.
The winter gives us time enough to find out what has to be revised at our table.

LooserLu

I disagree with some of your recommendations.

If I'm reading the grid correctly, your "Running in 20+ knots" is way off base.

Pretty neat idea, though I don't think you can put a lot of these things in a cookie-cutter grid.

I'm open for suggestions. What are your recommendations?

I know you can't put all the subtilis in a spreadsheet. It was developed as a Quick Reference Guide for a new laser sailor (me).

Ta Ian

I'm open for suggestions. What are your recommendations?

I know you can't put all the subtilis in a spreadsheet. It was developed as a Quick Reference Guide for a new laser sailor (me).

Ta Ian

20 Knots +: "Vang - Don't need to ease"

- If you do not ease the vang you had on going up wind in 20 knots before going down wind, bad things will happen. Things you never want to experience.

20 Knots +: "Cunningham - Leave"

-Same as vang, but to a lesser extent.

-Would not put board all the way down in 20+. The boat will trip over it every time you steer and you could end up rounding up violently/capsizing via going out of control. The speed wobble, if you will. If you've gone down wind in a big breeze and moderate to large waves, you are familiar with the speed wobble.

-If it's 20+ and you have any waves, you will be spending most of your time as far back in the cockpit as you can go.

-If it's 20+, you'll still want some depth in your sail.

-You will want to sail angles, but it could be a reach, as well as by the lee.

That's just for 20+. I didn't go over the others in depth.

Given that you want to be 'hyper' vanging upwind in that much breeze if you left it on as you rounded the mark bearing away is gonna be very dodgy and you'll probably bend the boom. It needs to be eased, but maybe not as much as you would in light winds.

Given that you want to be 'hyper' vanging upwind in that much breeze if you left it on as you rounded the mark bearing away is gonna be very dodgy and you'll probably bend the boom. It needs to be eased, but maybe not as much as you would in light winds.

Bending the boom would not be at the top of the list.

Your mast might be...

The training manual used to create the spreadsheet is massively out of date and has many errors so its no surprise that some of the spreadsheet is wrong.

I gave up on that manual very early on after coming across some glaring errors in the first few pages. I'd give it a miss and look at more recent books/DVDs etc for guidance on settings. Remember what works for you might not work for another person though due to sailing style, weight, fitness etc etc etc.

I agree with SailorChick - Without ever seeing the manual, my first thought was this was based on 70's and 80's info, prior to the 3.8oz sail and the new rigging. Not very useful

I liked it because it is free ;)! Looks like I'll have to shell out $50AU on a book and revise my spreadsheet :(

Thanks for the advice though

Ian

I guess it shows where my priories/preferences are, as I opened it and immediately scrolled to 20+ Knots...And only read 20+ Knots...

I agree with 49208
Any book that you can read now is already out of date.
I personally don't read anything published before 2012.
Ignorance is Bliss!!

Took my newly refurbished boat out for its 1st sail yesterday. Wind was gusty from 5 to 25, coming from all directions. Didn't know what to set so just pulled everything on :eek:

Feeling sore and sorry today.

BTW any clues how to stop main getting caught on corner of transome during a gybe.

Ian

Took my newly refurbished boat out for its 1st sail yesterday. Wind was gusty from 5 to 25, coming from all directions. Didn't know what to set so just pulled everything on :eek:

Ian

I know you must have been excited to get out there after working on your boat. You've learned your first lesson the hard way. The best conditions for newbies are 5 to 10 and fairly steady. Give yourself a good stretch and rest. You've many great sailing days ahead of you!

BTW any clues how to stop main getting caught on corner of transome during a gybe.

Ian

I am pretty new as well, but I found that grabbing the mainsheet just below the forward block on the boom for a half second and/or yanking down on your way across the boat is pretty effective.

I know you must have been excited to get out there after working on your boat. You've learned your first lesson the hard way. The best conditions for newbies are 5 to 10 and fairly steady. Give yourself a good stretch and rest. You've many great sailing days ahead of you!

I guess I should clarify that I am a newbie to Laser sailing but have sailed Herons, Moths, Northbridge seniors over a 30 year period. I was well aware of what I was getting myself into but still did it anyway ;)

no offence but in my opinion this is a waste of time. for a unstayed rig like a laser a chart like this is useless. what you need to know is snug up the vang. only take out wrinkles with cuno unto very overpowered. outhaul is very important. and soon as you can get under the strap and get kinetic do it. soon as you are under the strap then 2 block it. when overpowered and heeled then foot off the main by a foot. thats mostly it. tunning charts are good for boats that you can actully tune.

Back