Laser and Europe PNs

StJulian

I frequently race in mixed fleets in Britain where average lap times are calculated using the Portsmouth Yardstick system. I also sail in the USA but here it is always single class racing or simply first past the post fun racing.
I find the europe dinghy to be the biggest challenge to the laser for me in Britain and I have been puzzling over an apparent anomaly.
Problem:
Britain (RYA) Laser Int PN 1078, Europe PN 1139. (The europe PN is 5.66% higher).
Example – A laser with an elapsed time of 45 minutes for a race must finish 2 minutes and 33 seconds before the europe to match it on corrected time, assuming the same number of laps.
USA (US Sailing) Laser Int PN 91.1, Europe PN 92.8. (The europe PN is 1.87% higher). Example - A laser with an elapsed time of 45 minutes for a race must finish only 50 seconds before the europe to match it on corrected time, assuming the same number of laps.
I am wondering how it is that there is such a disparity.
What do others who have sailed with them think? Which assessment is more believable?
Can I glean some comfort here, or am I just clutching at straws?

We don't use Portsmouth much, but could the wind strengths have anything to do with the disparity? The D-PN for the Laser is 91.1, but for the wind adjusted ratings range from 93.7 to 88.8.

Perhaps the general US numbers are based on peformance in lighter winds and the UK numbers in more breeze?

To my knowledge, the Europe never was a popular boat in the US, except for pre-Olympians prior to 2004. Therefore, it may be that the US Portsmouth number is less accurate. Foxy's point about the wind strength may play a role as well.

At my club we have a fleet of Europes and in the light winds they are almost unbeatable on handicap. Once the breeze picks up then lasers do much better against them.

There are so many variables when it comes to PNs that trying to get an accurate comparison is almost impossible.

Things such as sailor ability, wind strength, flat or wavey water and volume of returns will all affect PY.

I would say (as others have already pointed out) that it is simply down to one of these factors as to why the PY is so different.

When the RYA fianlly get the sailracer site working for them then hopefully this volume of returns will increase in the UK and we will get more accurate yardsticks.

Well thanks for your thoughts.
Looking at the USA PNs the comparators are even more at odds with British PNs. The PNs are closer together using the same wind strengths than is suggested by the D-PN.
USA Laser Int PNs for wind strengths 0-1, 2-3, 4, and 5-9 are 93.7, 92.3, 91, and 88.2.
The D-PN of 91.1 is strongly influenced by the 5-9 wind strength PN.
Europe PNs for wind strengths 0-1, 2-3, and 4 are 94, 93 and 91.5 (there are no force 5-9 numbers).
Example: the D-PN difference is 1.87% but at force 4 the difference is only 0.55%).
You will notice the numbers decrease similarly to the Laser for higher winds but there is no PN for winds 5-9. This despite the Europe being promoted as a good heavy weather boat.
Another point is that the USA PNs actually suggest the Laser Radial is slower than the Europe across the board yet British Yardsticks show the Radial to be faster (Radial 1101, Europe 1139. There is definitely a rabbit off with these yardsticks.
I think the British numbers favour the Europe enormously, giving it an outrageous advantage in handicap racing, but perhaps the USA yardstick goes a little too far in favouring the Laser.
I would be happy if the numbers met in the middle somewhere.

Back