Knee Pad Brand Suggestions

nesdog

Looked at a few today at the sporting goods store. Not bad but might not handle the water as well. I see Gill makes a line, as well as others.

Anyone have a favorite?

Thanks

You shouldn't be on your knees much in a laser. 3/4 hiking pants should be plenty of protection.

I am using knee pads (don't recall the brand but they were black on the outside and blue on the inside and purchased from APS as I recall) and when I wear out my hiking shorts would go to the 3/4 hiking pants because as the knee pad elastic wears out they slip down on to your shins.

I found them invaluable in being more comfortable moving around on the boat esp. on downwind legs. For example when on starboard my right knee is on or against the forward part of the cockpit and the lower part of my left leg hooked under the hiking strap HOWEVER, according to Sailorchick it sounds like I should be doing something different.

What are your suggestions?

I don't know...from my point of view, knee pads are a good choice for me, especially during boat setup and teardown at the dock. Regardless of my best intentions, there are still plenty of times I'm getting whacked around! I'm not sure how much they will matter while I'm sailing though.

I watched a local weekly fun race a few days ago and several skippers were wearing pads.

I use garden/construction worker type knee pads. They are made of a hard grey foam and feature a black strap with hook and loop to tie them to the knee. I like them and the price is right (~$7 at Home Depot).

I am using knee pads (don't recall the brand but they were black on the outside and blue on the inside and purchased from APS as I recall) and when I wear out my hiking shorts would go to the 3/4 hiking pants because as the knee pad elastic wears out they slip down on to your shins.

I found them invaluable in being more comfortable moving around on the boat esp. on downwind legs. For example when on starboard my right knee is on or against the forward part of the cockpit and the lower part of my left leg hooked under the hiking strap HOWEVER, according to Sailorchick it sounds like I should be doing something different.

What are your suggestions?

Some people sail downwind with their knees up, more square in the boat. This can help with body movement/weight transfer/positioning, but it's kind of tough to get comfortable doing it.

It can be pretty weird the first time you try it. Some prefer that, many prefer knee down, or some variation between the two.

I started just staying on the balls of my feet with one foot on each side of the strap. If I remember, Campbell did an article in a Laser Sailor a year or so ago mentioning this technique. I thought it worked well when I started using it.

Back