Kayak rack

Ov Bob

Looking for opinions on my rack contraption for carring my boat and kayak. Its sitting high because I think I'll need the space to put a cooler in the cockpit, mast and sail, plus some beach chairs and other beach stuff. Might need 2 people to load and unload, but it seems sound enough for a 1000 ft trip from my driveway to the beach. Rear stand is just a big pvc U shape that pokes through 2 molded holes in the kayak, and the home made power wheels beach wheels are just stuck through the same holes from the bottom of the kayak.
Any thoughts, or ideas to make this better? boat rack 1.jpgboat rack 2.jpg

I like it!

I would just make sure you don't strap the kayak down too tightly, to make sure you don't put too much pressure in the mast step or the cockpit where your PVC supports sit on the Sunfish. otherwise, looks great!

Thanks for your input:D At this point the kayak is only bungee corded to the T in the mast hole and around the rudder bracket. PVC in the mast hole is 2" and fits snug in the mast hole, and isn't going all the way gown to the mast step. I think I might sand the pipe a bit so it doesn't get stuck, and put a smoothed over plug in the end. Will take it for a spin around the neighborhood after work tonight and give a road test. If this little rig works out, I'm hoping I will be ok actually traveling over the road with it. But 99 percent of the time it will be for compact storage and just to trek down to my beach.

Thanks for your input:D At this point the kayak is only bungee corded to the T in the mast hole and around the rudder bracket. PVC in the mast hole is 2" and fits snug in the mast hole, and isn't going all the way gown to the mast step. I think I might sand the pipe a bit so it doesn't get stuck, and put a smoothed over plug in the end. Will take it for a spin around the neighborhood after work tonight and give a road test. If this little rig works out, I'm hoping I will be ok actually traveling over the road with it. But 99 percent of the time it will be for compact storage and just to trek down to my beach.

Hi Bob,

Great idea! I have the same kayak and am interested in a few details - in the cockpit, what keeps the U shape in place? And what keeps the kayak off of the wheels? I am guessing you strap the mast and sail and paddles to the deck? Let us know how it travels when you try it out.

rack1.jpg
Hi Bob,

Great idea! I have the same kayak and am interested in a few details - in the cockpit, what keeps the U shape in place? And what keeps the kayak off of the wheels? I am guessing you strap the mast and sail and paddles to the deck? Let us know how it travels when you try it out.
Ill try to explain, but if I had better pics it prob would make more sense. The kayak has the 4 scupper holes that go through the hull, the U shaped pvc stand is 1 1/2 pipe so it goes in the scupper hole, but is too big to go through. The kayak is held in place fore and aft by a strap, so the U just sits in the cockpit floor, with the upwrights wedged in the scupper holes. The wheels are Barbie corvette. I used the powerwheels axle, spaced it with 1/2" sch 80 pvc, the legs are 1 1/2" pvc cut to whatever height you want your kayak to ride, with 1" sleeved inside, and like 8" longer than the 1 1/2 pipe. this keeps the kayak off the wheels and the legs through the scupper holes. I also drilled holes in the 1" pipe where it comes through the kayak, so I can hook a bungee cord from leg to leg, so if I lift the whole kayak off the ground, or drag it up my steps at the beach they don't fall out.
Also on a side note as you have the same kayak: my pvc pipe beach fishing rod holders, (the kind you stick in the sand) also fit nicely in the scupper holes, and I even stick my fishing rods in them when I roll her down to my beach.
So far so good with this setup, The kayak is a bit of a chore to get on and off by my self, but with 2 people Its a breeze.

Back