Inside of mast step/tube

Martin23

So, while doing preventative reinforcing of the mast step inside the hull, I had a good look down the mast tube from the outside. While the tube has always held water when I check it every so often, it looked like the fiberglass is starting to wear through. The paint is worn away, and I can see rough fibers. The other day I was walking through the club work bay and seeing a laser with an intact mast step, but a hole had been ripped through the bottom of the step, and so I started having nightmare thoughts about my own boat.

I thought of just pouring a good goop of epoxy down the tube to build the material up again, but is that enough? Any good ways of building back up/reinforcing the bottom of the mast tube? Would be nice if I could lay down some fiberglass, but it's just way too narrow to get down there properly.

Get an ice cream container lid and cut a disc out of it the same size as the bottom section tube. Put disc into mast step. Replace every year or two. It's as simple and cheap as that and completely legal.

Or a Pringles tube lid does the same if you trim the edge off it (and you can get Pringles in your country)....

Back