If a boat has access ports were those added by an owner?

RyanDe

While looking over craiglists for my first sunfish I've noticed that every boat has something unique. From what I can tell none of the older ones have access ports but I could be wrong. Some have two, some have three or one and some don't have any. Is this a good/bad sign, does the location and size matter? Here are just some examples of the ones I'm seeing.

1654109696177.png
1654109708538.png
1654109726866.png

My Hobie catamarans had four (!) inspection ports--two in each hull.

(Other of my catamarans had similar inspection port installations to ease separating the hulls from their cross members).

Sunfish inspection ports are owner-installed. (But don't know about the Alcort Catfish catamaran).

BTW, your top photograph shows a rare eight-inch port--not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

'Better for the deck to have unnecessary ports than errant holes--drilled here and there. As noted earlier today, the deck is constructed by strong, but quite thin, fiberglass. Any single hole will start unsightly spider cracks. :(

typically a port would have been installed by an owner (not the original boat builder), for access and/or a repair.
not necessarily a bad sign, but I would pay attention to where and why the port may have been installed.

for example - that blue deck hull was definitely an old-style rudder and the port was likely used to help upgrade to a new style rudder. is that a bad thing? not necessarily, the new rudder style is an improvement, and the port is right there for you to inspect inside and see how well they did the installation. but it's also a clue that the boat is 1971 or older - so a 50+ year old boat.

Should I be concerned about the large 8" port on the first one? That boat looks like the best option out of all of them but it's also the most expensive ($1300). My head is spinning with so many options, I guess it's better to have more options than fewer but I'm paralyzed from making a choice because I don't want to get into a bad boat. I should pull the trigger and learn from the experience...

Should I be concerned about the large 8" port on the first one? That boat looks like the best option out of all of them but it's also the most expensive ($1300). My head is spinning with so many options, I guess it's better to have more options than fewer but I'm paralyzed from making a choice because I don't want to get into a bad boat. I should pull the trigger and learn from the experience...
I wouldn’t be unless there are signs of a bad repair as a result of damage. Maybe the owner just put that in for more storage? But there is a large foam flotation block installed in that spot so they’d have had to “excavate” to make that port useful. But the loss of a small amount of foam is nothing to worry about.

Look the boats over top and bottom. Bring a scales and weigh them. Check the booms and sails. Blue boat has a port in the back at the rudder was upgraded to the new style. It is the oldest. On the right hand stern the other two will have a code with a date.

With all things being equal, the white boat with the blue stripe looks the best, however you would need to determine the weight, or you might be installing inspection ports yourself. The other components are just as important as the hull. Having straight / non corroded spars is a major deal as they are almost impossible to ship. The rudder and daggerboard are expensive to replace but fairly easy to repair / refinish. Just find the one that looks the best to you and get ready to spend some time, elbow grease and cash. There isn't that much with these boats that can't be repaired. Go sailing!

The manufacturer did not install ports. Ports could have been installed by previous owners for convenience (storage) or access to effect repairs or upgrades. If the repairs were good, great. If the port was installed just to sponge out gallons of water after a short sail, there is a leak.

Ask the seller if the boat takes on water ( a spongeful is workable) or if they know how much the hull weighs, those boat should be 139ish + maybe a few pounds for age/trapped humidity. Surprisingly, as Alan told us, the boats can make a little water from moisture condensing inside. The pontoon hull is not sealed, there should be a vent hole on the forward cockpit bulkhead or underneath the deck Serial Number tag on older boats with bronze rudder assembly.

Heed LAWilliams advice "Having straight / non corroded spars (mast and booms) is a major deal as they are almost impossible to ship."

Your pick may be decided on the quality (or lack) of a trailer--the decision of that purchase is a science. (Generally, "less trailer is more"). If missing, allow $75 for locating a small used trailer.

Sunfish #1 has the eight inch port (and a desirable tan deck). I'd check the bottom for repairs, as a trailer's rusted roller can punch through the keel there. (A solid keel repair is a good thing). It also is the only one with desirable deck hardware--a $75 option elsewhere.

Sunfish #2 has a white deck, which reflects sunlight much too well; however, it also has a perfect cockpit decal! Most of my five Sunfish (or is it six? :oops: ) have no trace of any decal. :(

Has this Sunfish never filled up with rainwater? :eek:

Sunfish #3, as stated, has the desirable new-style rudder.

Sunfish #3 may be a "transitional" Sunfish with a cubby. (I like my cubbies). :)

Back