Hull number question

ColdPass

Hey, I've got a hull number question - Could someone help me confirm when it was made? (Maybe this isn't an actual hull number, since it's not in the form that I've seen listed in other places.)

THere's a sticker that says AMF Alcort Sunfish, and above that a sticker that says NJZ - 13080 - HULL

Thanks!

Hello,

When I have been using the USCG look-up for Hull ID all the builder codes that have a "Z" third character are homebuilt. For example, NJZ - New Jersey Homebuilt, CAZ - California Homebuilt, and so on.

The rest of that number does not fit any official number scheme I have run across. The USCG number mandatory on production boats since Nov. 1972 is suppose to be stamped or etched into the hull in the upper right of the transom. I do not believe a sticker is allowed to carry the official ID.

Prior to Nov. 1972 the Sunfish production serial number was stamped on a metal plate found behind the mast step, or at the crux of the coaming, or on the forward bulkhead of the footwell depending on the era of production.

There have been changes to the Sunfish throughout it's history. Recognizing these subtleties could help you narrow the boat's age down to within a few years. Sunfish_Sailor has about the most comprehensive chart of changes over the life of the design. Here's the web site - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor

Wayne

Wayne's posting is correct - before the introduction of the Hull Identification
Number engraved in the upper right hand corner of the transom, Alcort, the original maker of the Sailfish and Sunfish used a sequential serial number system and stamped this number on a metal tag that was riveted to the deck just aft of the splash rail or other parts of the hull. I have a chart of these numbers, and if your serial number is 13080 and your hull does not have the storage compartment under the deck aft of the cockpit tub, your hull was built in 1964. If you do have the storage compartment, the boat hull was built on or after 1971 and I can't make sense out of the number you have.
Hope this is helpful.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

from windlines how to buy a used boat:

"Prelims: Try and ascertain the age of the boat. If there is a title that should have it if not here are some general guide lines.

Serial number on metal deck plate near the coaming. No storage compartment at the aft end of cockpit and the old style rudder (rudder attaches via 2 bronze fittings one on the deck and one on the keel) pre 71.

Same as above but with the storage compartment 1971

Storage compartment, new style rudder (has aluminum rudder cheeks and attaches via an aluminum bracket on the transom) and has the metal rail 1972-1987

Storage compartment, new style rudder and rolled edges on gunwales 1987 and newer.

If there is a serial number on the hull it will be in the upper right corner of the transom. It can be deciphered to give you the model year i.e. AMFxxxxxM73x 1973 is the year. Another variation is SLIxxxxxG793 where 1993 is the year.

AMF = AMF Alcort the boats varied tremendously in quality and have to be looked at individually. P = Pearson AVOID THESE BOATS LIKE THE PLAGUE ULESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. SLI = Sunfish Laser Inc. For the most part the boats were pretty well built. OQT = Vanguard (current builder) boats have continued to be very consistent in quality.

Back