Hull Number Question- Worlds Boat

Don't Panic

I just bought a worlds boat yesterday. interesting. It seems that all of the worlds sail numbers were 196XXX. My hull number is OQTL1741G910. Following the hull de-coding logic as follows

OQT- Vanguard built in R.I.
L - (L=21)
1741 - remainder of hull number
G = Feb, month boat built
9 - year boat built
10 - model year of boat

which means my boat should be sail number 211741. I'm assuming they give new sail numbers to all the worlds competitors to make results easier.

if my boat actually is number 211741 then should I change my sail number to match? because if I don't there should already be a sail number of 196131 which is what the boat came with.

So a by your reckoning a Feb 09 boat has a much higher number than a boat sold in Sep 09!

Think your best bet is to stick with the number you are given or you stand much more odds of running into a boat with the higher number in a couple of years. As I understand it the numbers don't necessarily run in order as different regions are given batches of numbers to use in a time frame and don't always use them all before the next lot are issued.

I am just going by the information on how to de-code a U.S. built laser hull number that is on this site. I have never had a one design boat (being used for one design sailing) where the hull number didn't match the sail number.

I'm afraid the thread or article you referenced is outdated - the builders have "un-coupled" the hull ID from the ISAF sail number. Your sail number should be on an ISAF sticker on the back wall of the cockpit.

Update I just received an e-mail below, the buyers guide info on determining the hull numbers should be updated regarding the sail number de-coding.

Hi Brian,

Sail numbers no longer correspond with the hull number. The sail number is designated on a silver sticker inside the cockpit.

Regards,

Greg Seekell
Sales Executive
LaserPerformance North America
300 Highpoint Avenue Portsmouth, RI 02871
T: +1 (401)643 1939 ● F: +1 (800)843 0025 ●

Update I just received an e-mail below, the buyers guide info on determining the hull numbers should be updated regarding the sail number de-coding.

Hi Brian,

Sail numbers no longer correspond with the hull number. The sail number is designated on a silver sticker inside the cockpit.

Regards,

Greg Seekell
Sales Executive
LaserPerformance North America
300 Highpoint Avenue Portsmouth, RI 02871
T: +1 (401)643 1939 ● F: +1 (800)843 0025 ●

It makes sense to say from my side (Europe): this nearly an identical code for the "Hull Identification Number" of hulls built in NA, like we already have for many years at Europe.

OQT- Vanguard built in R.I. { -> European Laser : "GB-PSE"}
L - "Laser" { -> at European Laser the shortcut is "LS" instead of "L"}
1741 - remainder of hull number {Vanguard/LaserPerformance NA Inc. internal production code}
G = July, month boat built {A = Jan ... L = Dec}
9 - year boat built (2009)
10 - model year of boat (2010)

If the buiders sticker at the rear wall of the cockpit is lost or the sailnumer on this sticker unreadable, only the ILCA's office or the related builders office is able to find out the correct sailnumber....

Ciao
LooserLu

Back