How To Start?

mikemets05

I am 17 and have only sailed a few times, at this point I would like to continue my sailing and hopefully this summer or next summer get a small daysailer. I have sailed a pixel probably three times with an instructor. I do not exactly like the place I have been sailing. I do not have any family or friends that can help me learn. What would be the next step for me? I live on long island, NY and have sailed in Jamaica Bay in Queens.

Thank You,
Mike
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. If I did please direct me to where it should be.

After I learned how to sail, I joined my high school sailing team. From there, I met others my age who also enjoyed sailing and I started spending more time on the water, and eventually got my own boat. I learned when I was 14 and now I'm 17 so I know where you're coming from. If your school doesn't have a sailing team, try talking to some local sailors. Maybe they'll invite you out one day.

Good luck, Cameron

New Yorkers, Long Islanders, let's help this young sailor...

In the meantime, I suggest hanging out at nearby sailing clubs and asking whether you can crew on some boat. Don't be timid...

Back