How to customize your hiking pads

Tentmaker
Since Laser sailors come in all shapes and sizes, and the various hiking pants manufacturers all have their own idea of the "perfect" hiking pad length, you may find yourself with a paid of pads that are too long for your thigh and either dig into the back of your knee or butt.

I've modified both the SEA pads and the Rooster pads to fit me - hopefully the following pictures will give anyone else contemplating doing this enough info to do it themselves. It's not hard and the increased comfort is well worth the effort.

First up are the Rooster pads. I'm 5'10" and bought the mediums, but found them to be approx 15mm too long for me.

You'll need some sissors, a hacksaw (or dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel), contact cement or equiv. and needle and thread. Gloves are optional, but recommended when dealing with the battens as they can put out some nasty fiberglass splinters.

Attachments

• CIMG1131.JPG
    CIMG1131.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 56
  • CIMG1132.JPG
    CIMG1132.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG1140.JPG
    CIMG1140.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 54
Does anyone know if the same method can be applied to the Zhik pads? they look to be a similar construction

I'm only 5'6'' and use medium rooster pads. Would have thought they would have been fine for someone with an extra few inches on me.

I don't see how you could have a problem that 15mm could fix.

That's just a matter of not pulling them up enough.

I wouldn't cut into my stuff for 1.5 cm.

I'm also 5'10, though we may have different femur lengths.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else do this.

Back