How much faster from rigging sail lower?

ColdPass

For all of the competitions the sunfish sail is rigged low to the hull, versus the recreational rigging that has the upper boom at nearly a 45* angle and the lower boom nearly flat. The recreational rigging allows more room for two sailors and increased visibility. I'm sure that the trade off is speed, but I'm wondering how much? Is it a noticable increase in the thrill level, or just an added edge in competition? If it's a night and day difference in the feel of the boat, I might change, otherwise it's nice to have more room under the boom.

You ask a good question. The lower sail does appear to make the boat go faster but how much faster is questionable. The other issue is handling and balance. The lower sail reduces heeling and makes it easier to sail the boat flat (read: faster) and the lower sail appears to balance the boat better and reduces whether helm (although the fore and aft gooseneck setting may be just as important in controlling weather helm.)

With the advent of very accurate, handheld GPS devices, it would be easy to set the rig high and sail it checking the speed and then set the rig low and immediately check the speed again on the same course with the same wind. I am guessing the difference will be a fraction of a knot, but over a several mile long racecourse, that small difference might be a few hundred yards.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I've always wondered too what might happen in very light air conditions where being overpowered is not a concern, if the rig was higher -

One major reason for wanting the boom low to the deck is to avoid the bending of the boom that you will notice when you trim in your sail tight. If you start with a high boom, you will bend your boom at an earlier point when trimming, ...Thus flattening the sail out sooner and losing power sooner.

One other reason you will see people have the boom low and have lots of vang pressure on is that it helps keep pressure on the leech of the sail when sailing off the wind...This helps to prevent the sail from opening up at the leech and spilling off air, and can also provide you with additional turning power for maneuverability I have found this to be very helpful, especially in waves and big air.

In really light air...the whole discussion is pretty much a non-issue since most sunfish sailors tend not to trim in the main as much in the really light air...and there doesn't tend to be much air pressure enabling the spill-off of air downwind. In fact, I would venture to say that raising the boom may be beneficial depending on your comfortability in sailing with or without helm.

Back