Holt vs. Harken Vang and Cunningham/Outhaul

Pficky

I know that this has been debated a number of times, and I have read most of these debates. It seems that the majority feel that the Harken vang is a better choice. However, I have found the Holt version of the Vang upgrade and Cunningham/Outhaul upgrade on sale for a collective $350. The Harken Vang and Cunningham/Outhaul Upgrades together cost $610. I can afford either system, marginally, but I would like to get a second opinion on whether the savings are worth it, or if the Harken system is worth the price.

get a harken. and set the entire system up different then what they say to, there are better ways.

*edit just re read, i prefer the harken but this its a one design class it all works the same, for that price difference i dont think i could convince myself to pay twice as much for harken

As I have said before, I don't think the Harken stuff is fundamentally worth any more. The price difference is all about the brand name. However, with a 350-dollar deal I would first make sure if all the pieces (the deck plates, really) are legal.

Everything is from Holt Allen and is all class legal. Not really sure how they (intensity) are selling it so much cheaper but I'm okay with it!

I think holt / Allen are being phased out as preferred suppliers to laser . Harken used to to be Gxd and Allen used to be xd or race .Harken t- blocks seem to be Gxd now last years Harlem seems to be the race version now. I prefer the Allen kicker but I don't think it makes a hell of difference if you are asking these questions . Buy second hand, cheap and upgrade when you can.

I just bought the same vang, outhual/Cunningham set from intensity, so far very happy with it. I only race at a club level.
Marc

Does anyone have pictures of the outhaul and Cunningham from this kit rigged. I'm struggling to figure it out.

Ah thank you LaLi! These are exactly what I needed. The outhaul was pretty intuitive based on how I've seen others rigged, but I couldn't figure out how I should be rigging the cunningham. This was extremely helpful.

Back