Hiking Cramps?

Lorenzo

Alot of times when the wind is really up and I'm hiking as hard as possible I get some really painful quadricep cramps, anyone have any idea how to deal with and prevent them. I've ended up having to actually forfeit some races because of this, so any ideas?

Sounds like you're dehydrated, electrolyte / mineral imbalance in the system.... Sport drink, many to choose from, find one you like.
Try sipping one before you go out, take one with you and it's important to replenish your system within twenty minutes of finishing exercise ( sailing ).
Our club races are mostly out n back around the cans down river n back. Usually long hard beats home, I tend to save my carrying bottle for just before the turning mark and start frequent sips for the beat home.

What is your height, weight, and level of fitness? Which rig are you sailing?

People who "hike as hard as they can" are often not sailing the boat flat and vang sheeting. Instead they wait until the puff hits, the boat heels and they try to hike their way out of it. This leads to muscle strains in the quads which are supporting most of your weight.

If you are getting cramps any other time during exercise or sleep then you have a very common magnesium deficiency.

Alot of times when the wind is really up and I'm hiking as hard as possible I get some really painful quadricep cramps, anyone have any idea how to deal with and prevent them. I've ended up having to actually forfeit some races because of this, so any ideas?
It could be hydration, but it could be also the tightness of your hiking strap.

I usually adjust my hiking strap alot and its quite lose while beating. I used to get cramps alot while sleeping but it hasn't happened recently. Im about 5'11" and i weigh 162lbs, I'd say I'm fairly fit being an ex-swimmer and I sail Standard (yes, i know im like 20lbs underweight but the radial boom is too low for me to tack properly and i like the challenge). It could probably by hydration because I drink water really quickly and it usually finishes like an hour before we finish.

The cramps at nite is a diagnostic symptom of a magnesium deficiency. Its very common. The majority of Americans are below the RDA. I would encourage you to take a high quality Mag supplement at nite before bed. It gives you very good sleep and more energy when exercising. You will notice a difference in your cramping within a week of supplementation. Magnesium is one of the most common supplements for athletes along with b-vitamins.

I always drink plenty starting in the morning if I'm going to be out on the water. In AU the sun is a killer. I have a bottle of sports drink just before I go out and I carry a bike bottle on the boat with sports drink.

I usually adjust my hiking strap alot and its quite lose while beating. I used to get cramps alot while sleeping but it hasn't happened recently. Im about 5'11" and i weigh 162lbs, I'd say I'm fairly fit being an ex-swimmer and I sail Standard (yes, i know im like 20lbs underweight but the radial boom is too low for me to tack properly and i like the challenge). It could probably by hydration because I drink water really quickly and it usually finishes like an hour before we finish.
Sounds like you need at least one additional water bottle. As for my comments about hiking straps tautness, it needs to be in a location that doesn't cause the muscles to do excessive work, even though you adjust yours, you could be making the muscles work harder than they need to / can cope with.

Boom height on a radial is normally a little higher than a full rig as you don't need as much vang, it might be worth checking your set up against someone else including measuring luff length (always variable) and bottom section length.

After so long of being bored with getting let down by adjustable systems ( tried every conceivable & legal method )
I found a happy medium and made the cockpit clutter free into the bargain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 59
Tried this ( like 20 years ago ) ...
Part way into the beat I'd feel that awful feeling you get - when your on auto and go to hook your foot under after a tack and there's no solid feel to the strap where you expect it, it's crept...maybe only an inch from the last tack but it's enough to snatch concentration and the physical pain begins to build as I've found myself doing a very long sit up...I don't like that unreliability.

Tried this ( like 20 years ago ) ...
And you're talking about the second method of routing the rope, not the first one right? Ie, the one at the end of the video just before he adds the bungee?

This link should go right to that section... at 3 minutes, 3 seconds. Cockerill mentions it's the same method Robert Scheidt used/uses. If it's the same guy, he's the 2013 Laser World Champ, yes?

- Andy

Back