Hikers

Patrick Collins

Hi guys
Im a laser sailor living in ireland and i mainly sail in the summer...its still not very warm. I know you hav probly heard this all before but what definitively is the best pair of hikers to buy? Ive never had hikers before -just wore a wetsuit- so i was wonderin could you help me out?
Thanks

I wear the Rooster Pro Hikers and love them. The pads and hikers are bought independently so you can get the right size for you and with the velcro system put them in the right place for you. If you go for these make sure they are very tight and hard to put on when dry as then they will fit perfectly when wet. If they go on easy when dry they are too big. (Hikers need to be a close fit so there is no room for the pad to move due to material stretching.)

I've also used the rooster old style hikers which were good too. Pad is fixed so if its in the wrong place then you can't move it so shorter people might not find them so comfy. Great cheap hikers to get used to hikers with though

I've had a pair of magic marine (the ones with the perforated neoprene) and they were awful - barely lasted a season so wouldn't get MM again.

I too wear Rooster Pro Hikers. I have to say they are very good and I love them!
The removeable hiking pads are fantastic and you can adjust them too suit your build or hiking position.
The sizing from the web site is pretty accurate and would recommend following this closely.
I couldnt be happier...and they last forever!

As for magic marine...I dont know anyone (apart from Cat sailor's who wear them) who own a pair.

Ive heard the Zhik hikers have removeable pads too. I think these would be worth considering as well.

Good luck mate
Ps Rooster had great service and fast delivery

i wouldn't even bother with the Zhik hikers everyone that i've talked to cannot stand them they say that they fall apart at the first sail and that their having all sorts of problems..

i'm currently using the Waist lock 3/4 length sear gear hikers and i'm finding them to be the best. i've tried the rooster, magic marine, queensport and the zhik stuff and i really do beleive that Sea Gear is a better product all round.

Beam Dog

Another vote for the Rooster Pro's. I have had mine for 18 months now and looking at them you would think they are still new.

Great bit of kit just make sure you use their measurment chart when you buy them so you get the correct size pads.

Also if you get the lycras you can use the pads in the Lycras for a lightweight pair of summer hikers. I was a bit dubious when I first tried it but it works well, the pads move a little bit but not enough to cause issues.

Back