Help!!

PiersHS

I was cleaning my boat when I noticed in the bow a lump in the middle(underside), it isn't squishy an I can't push it down. I am hoping this is irrelevant and not expensive to repair but is it somekind of osmosis??

Can somebody tell me what this is??

P.S The boat was built in 1988....

No, Just in front (10cm aprox) Also after I gave the whole thing a decent wash there was a small amount of water down below- I think it's normal as it such an old boat- is it?

Sorry to be asking so many questions but I am a bit of a newbie to lasers...

As Merrily has hinted at, you are probably looking at the typical moulding deformation charactorised by a squarish lump protruding from the hull just below the mast step.
It would be wrong to fair this out and re-gel since this is a normal feature.

You did not give any indication of size. If it is small and round (roughly the size of your thumbnail), it could be an osmotic blister.

As Merrily has hinted at, you are probably looking at the typical moulding deformation charactorised by a squarish lump protruding from the hull just below the mast step.
It would be wrong to fair this out and re-gel since this is a normal feature.

And also illegal.

I was cleaning my boat when I noticed in the bow a lump in the middle(underside), it isn't squishy an I can't push it down. I am hoping this is irrelevant and not expensive to repair but is it somekind of osmosis??

Can somebody tell me what this is??

P.S The boat was built in 1988....

Take a picture of it, its tough to say without seeing it.

AlanD

Is it illegal to replace the gelcoat on the hull? If not what specific rule is it against?

I think the below rule covers it:

11. HULL FINISH
(a)​
Waxing, polishing and fine wet and dry sanding

of the hull is permitted, provided the intention and
effect is to polish the hull only. Polishing/sanding
shall not be used to remove mould imperfections.​
(b)​
Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the
intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the
performance, finish, materials or shape beyond

the original is not permitted.

You would be seeking to improve the finish beyond original.

Were it done as part of a repair to that area you MIGHT be able to get away with it but you would probably have to prove why it was done (if you did a major regatta and the boat was measured).

Are you goingto race it in a national or world
championchip??????? Then who cares. Just repair it if you do not
like what it looks like.

Is it below the waterline?

Are you goingto race it in a national or world
championchip??????? Then who cares. Just repair it if you do not
like what it looks like.

Is it below the waterline?

The point is that it probably does not need to be repaired. Personally I would not want to grind gelcoat off unless I had to.

That and the OP did ask where it said you can't replace gelcoat so the relevant rule was supplied.

Obviously without a picture we are all just speculating that this is the 'normal' bulge/imperfection you get directly underneath the mast pot.

Got a mate of mine to have a look and it is just your 'normal' bulge- have sailed with it now (30mph!) and was fine so not worried anymore....

Got a mate of mine to have a look and it is just your 'normal' bulge- have sailed with it now (30mph!) and was fine so not worried anymore....

Good stuff, just listen out for any noises, with a boat the age of yours the bottom of the mast pot might be coming loose (if you have a hatch you can see if it has been re-onforced). If not fill the pot up and make sure it holds water, this is generally a good sign that all is well.

Back