Help ID mystery boat

Jon Young

Anyone recognize it? Supposedly made by Universal in the late 70's. 13 ft LOA. Thanks.
mystery boat.jpg

It looks familiar but I can't place it. It looks to be cat rigged as I don't see any hardware for a jib. More photos would help; side view, cockpit details.rudder/tiller etc. Length overall (looks to be about 14'-15')? Is there a Hull I.D. number on the transom? Is there a logo on the mainsail (if so attach photo)? It looks like the registration number (last registered in '07) is from Indiana - maybe contact the Indiana DMV and see if they still have it on file? Does the previous owner know anything?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

It's a Tennessee registration, boat is on Craigs List and this is the only pic available. The sail was lost (blew into lake and sunk in sailbag). The hull is in excellent shape and the price is very attractive, but the missing piece is finding a replacement sail. All info available online for Universal Marine doesn't mention anything made in this size.

You can get a sail based on measurements. boom length (E) and from boom to masthead (P).

if it can take a jib, you go by chainplate on the bow to mast (J) and the chainplate to where the sail will attach to the mast (covers sloop and fractional sloop)

For the main, smaller than what its supposed to have will work... larger won't.
For a jib the J can be larger as some jibs/genoas are > 150% J

If not type racing, that's good enough.
If type racing then you have to get the correct sail for the racing class.

It's a Tennessee registration, boat is on Craigs List and this is the only pic available. The sail was lost (blew into lake and sunk in sailbag). The hull is in excellent shape and the price is very attractive, but the missing piece is finding a replacement sail. All info available online for Universal Marine doesn't mention anything made in this size.
I can't speak to "Universal", but Catalina, who is still in business, might be able to help with the Capri Cyclone sail. Also cat rigged, there was no jib offered for the Cyclone. The rig is a "bendy rig" with an unfooted sail.

imagehelper.asp

It's a different boat, but neat looking: specifications here:

CAPRI CYCLONE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Last edited:

Back