What's new

Gooseneck issues

Edward Teach

I have a quick release goose neck which has been great when repositioning the boom, but my concern with the quick release is that the screw extends about a ¼ to ½ inch below the nut. I have already notice a scratch on the aluminum boom and I am concerned it could damage the deck as well. What do you guys use to protect these surfaces? I was thinking of plumbers putty on the screw, but it doesn’t seem permanent.

Thanks,
Edward

Wayne

Member Emeritus
Re: Goose neck issues

I have a quick release goose neck which has been great when repositioning the boom, but my concern with the quick release is that the screw extends about a ¼ to ½ inch below the nut. I have already notice a scratch on the aluminum boom and I am concerned it could damage the deck as well. What do you guys use to protect these surfaces? I was thinking of plumbers putty on the screw, but it doesn’t seem permanent.
My QR has a long nut so the bolt can be trimmed to engage sufficient threads and never protrude from the nut.

If your QR nut is standard height you might look for a tall one in the specialty fastener area of your hardware store.

A coupling nut could work...

Or an acorn nut...

A thumb nut could have possibilities...

...or add a plastic acorn cap to your existing QR

Edward Teach

Wayne,

Cap nut does it! I don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking):confused:. I'm glad there is a forum like this to get that extra pair of eyes on the problem.

Thanks
Edward

Wayne

Member Emeritus
Cap nut does it!
Great, tricks like that have been used on Sunfish for years.

A plastic acorn nut used to be a standard addition to the tiller extension pivot bolt and the boom/gaff lower eyebolt, but I guess they started sizing the bolts more closely for a non-protruding fit.

There is also the inverted boom end cap trick..., installing a clew end cap at the tack and facing the outhaul eye down to protect the deck from eyebolt scratches.

Wayne

Member Emeritus
any tricks freeing up the bolt on an ocean-experienced gooseneck?
The pivot bolt or the pinch bolt?

Frozen pinch bolts I cut with a hack saw so the boom can be removed.

Once the boom is out of the way the gooseneck can be clamped into a padded vise.

Some sort of rust-buster, vise-grips, and patient working back and forth removes the cut pinch bolt pieces. Drilling out as a last resort. Never worried about the threads in the older style gooseneck since I always go back in with a QR bolt.

Pivot bolt, lots of soaking with penetrating oil, gentle yet firm twisting pressure after a 24 hr soak. If it works free, a wash with mineral spirits, blow dry with compressed air to remove any lingering penetrating oil, and a good soak with a (these days) Teflon lube.

Never try and remove the pivot bolt nut, it's been peened onto the bolt threads and will not hold again once removed.