Gooseneck issues

Edward Teach

I have a quick release goose neck which has been great when repositioning the boom, but my concern with the quick release is that the screw extends about a ¼ to ½ inch below the nut. I have already notice a scratch on the aluminum boom and I am concerned it could damage the deck as well. What do you guys use to protect these surfaces? I was thinking of plumbers putty on the screw, but it doesn’t seem permanent.

Thanks,
Edward

Re: Goose neck issues

I have a quick release goose neck which has been great when repositioning the boom, but my concern with the quick release is that the screw extends about a ¼ to ½ inch below the nut. I have already notice a scratch on the aluminum boom and I am concerned it could damage the deck as well. What do you guys use to protect these surfaces? I was thinking of plumbers putty on the screw, but it doesn’t seem permanent.
My QR has a long nut so the bolt can be trimmed to engage sufficient threads and never protrude from the nut.

yhst-32154317745271_2112_26028787

If your QR nut is standard height you might look for a tall one in the specialty fastener area of your hardware store.

A coupling nut could work...

90983a205p1s.png

Or an acorn nut...

91875a130p1s.png

A thumb nut could have possibilities...

91833a134p1s.png

...or add a plastic acorn cap to your existing QR

91875a130p1s.png

Wayne,

Cap nut does it! I don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking):confused:. I'm glad there is a forum like this to get that extra pair of eyes on the problem.

Thanks
Edward

Cap nut does it!
Great, tricks like that have been used on Sunfish for years.

A plastic acorn nut used to be a standard addition to the tiller extension pivot bolt and the boom/gaff lower eyebolt, but I guess they started sizing the bolts more closely for a non-protruding fit.

There is also the inverted boom end cap trick..., installing a clew end cap at the tack and facing the outhaul eye down to protect the deck from eyebolt scratches.

any tricks freeing up the bolt on an ocean-experienced gooseneck?
The pivot bolt or the pinch bolt?

Frozen pinch bolts I cut with a hack saw so the boom can be removed.

Once the boom is out of the way the gooseneck can be clamped into a padded vise.

Some sort of rust-buster, vise-grips, and patient working back and forth removes the cut pinch bolt pieces. Drilling out as a last resort. Never worried about the threads in the older style gooseneck since I always go back in with a QR bolt.

Pivot bolt, lots of soaking with penetrating oil, gentle yet firm twisting pressure after a 24 hr soak. If it works free, a wash with mineral spirits, blow dry with compressed air to remove any lingering penetrating oil, and a good soak with a (these days) Teflon lube.

Never try and remove the pivot bolt nut, it's been peened onto the bolt threads and will not hold again once removed.

Back