first time in a laser?

Gideon

hi, i used to sail optimist for 4 years and then stopped sailing in dinghys for 2 years
now i feel like sailing again, in a laser

now my question is: what are the differences, is there a big learning gap between them, harder to sail,... thnx in advance :)

Hi,

It's not difficult for someone that sailed an Optimist. I've seen kids jump on board and start sailing right away.

Last Sunday I went out on my Laser with my eldest son, who has been sailing Optimists for one year. I gave gave him the tiller and the mainsheet and he had lots of fun.

The only difference is in the control lines. You will have to get used to them.

Get the right sail size for you (4.7, Radial or full rig) and start enjoying.

Rodolfo

thnx another thing i weigh around 66kilos or 145lbs i stumbled on a laser radial for a really good price:D
my question is is my weight enough to keep the boat flat in like say 6bft or 25 knots?

It will be hard to keep the boat flat at 25kt with your weight.

Try, and if it's too difficult, get a 4.7 sail.

I have a Radial and a 4.7 but have not tried the small one yet, saving it for my son that currently weights about 45 kilos.

Rodolfo

You're right on the lower end of radial weight. I'd probably say get a 4.7 rig for a 6 months/a year to learn the controls/technique and then get a radial when you have grown a bit. You shouldn't have a problem selling the 4.7 rig on when you get too big for it.

You can get away with being light if you are very fit and very good technically.

thnx another thing i weigh around 66kilos or 145lbs i stumbled on a laser radial for a really good price:D
my question is is my weight enough to keep the boat flat in like say 6bft or 25 knots?

A TRUE 25 knots of breeze is difficult for anyone of any size in any rig to deal with upwind and downwind. It's also not the normal conditions for 90% of the world. Now, in the 8 to 15 knot range, (which is where you'll normally sail) you are perfect for that nicely priced radial. Now go buy it and go sail!

You're right on the lower end of radial weight. I'd probably say get a 4.7 rig for a 6 months/a year to learn the controls/technique and then get a radial when you have grown a bit. You shouldn't have a problem selling the 4.7 rig on when you get too big for it.

You can get away with being light if you are very fit and very good technically.

That explains a lot !! Because I am now down at 63Kg and mainly sail a Std rig (I just tend not to like my Radial rig very much). But then regarding your last part - although light I am neither of the other aspects.

Maybe this season I should start using my Radial rig more often.

Ian

thnx guys
i'll probably go for the radial because it will be really hard for me to find a 4,7 rig
and i don't have the money to go buy a new sail and lower mast section in half year after buying this boat. I'm actualy very lucky to find a laser radial within my 500-750 euro range. i'm not that "wealthy" :p

There is one more thing:D
this laser was used to teach new sailors, and there aren't any pictures shown of it on the website, i do now that this isn't a fake because i now the club that is selling them, but what do u think I can expect of it?

Perfect radial weight, no need to get a 4.7 rig. I started sailing a radial at 120lbs and even though we didn't have 4.7s, I wouldn't have sailed one.

Perfect radial weight, no need to get a 4.7 rig. I started sailing a radial at 120lbs and even though we didn't have 4.7s, I wouldn't have sailed one.

I totally agree. I am 13 and weigh just under 140 pounds. I started in a radial when i was under 120lbs. Although in heavy wind its hard to keep your boat flat upwind you can make up for it downwind. And you can dominate on light wind days. :) go for the radial!

I totally agree. I am 13 and weigh just under 140 pounds. I started in a radial when i was under 120lbs. Although in heavy wind its hard to keep your boat flat upwind you can make up for it downwind. And you can dominate on light wind days. :) go for the radial!

Same here, I started around 120 and learned the hard way when it got windy. My goal was to stay upright and it worked, I would pass boats and hold my own all the time.

Congrats, You will definitely enjoy the laser, its easy to get started but takes a great deal of practice and hard work to master. The more time you spend in the boat the better you'll get and the more fun you'll have!

Back