Fiberglass repair; please help

mzych

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I already found some helpful info here. I couldn't find the answer I was looking for using the search function. I have a long crack in my Sunfish and am using west systems epoxy, 205 slow hardener, and a fine-weave cloth for repair. My concern is that I'd like to make the repair in one shot even though it goes along the bottom and up both sides. Is there a trick to keeping the already-wetted cloth from sagging during curing? My gut tells me that taping some peel-ply to hold it up should do the trick but my gut is not always right. (If it were I probably would never have to repair anything!). Any suggestions? Thanks,
Mike

How about a photo(s) of the to be repaired area?
I'm traveling right now and can't get you a picture. I was kind of hoping there was a 'best-practices' type of answer for those of us with little experience. I'd like to keep the fiberglass cloth from sagging during the cure. When repairing a flat surface in the past, I've put down peel-ply and then a small sandbag. Since I can't do that in this instance do you think that taping the peel-ply in place over it will work?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I already found some helpful info here. I couldn't find the answer I was looking for using the search function. I have a long crack in my Sunfish and am using west systems epoxy, 205 slow hardener, and a fine-weave cloth for repair. My concern is that I'd like to make the repair in one shot even though it goes along the bottom and up both sides. Is there a trick to keeping the already-wetted cloth from sagging during curing? My gut tells me that taping some peel-ply to hold it up should do the trick but my gut is not always right. (If it were I probably would never have to repair anything!). Any suggestions? Thanks,
Mike
It sounds like you're off to a good start using West Systems epoxy. :) This Sunfish forum's thread (below, in blue) should answer how to repair your fiberglass Sunfish:
Need help/advice on how to repair fiberglass | SailingForums.com

From what I read here, regarding peel-ply... DACRON PEEL PLY SURFACE TAPES from Aircraft Spruce ...that might work; however, this sounds like one serious crack! :eek: If it's a structural crack, the fix is to grind or sand the existing surface to a very thin layer in the middle, tapering to about six inches wide, and cut and lay-out successive layers of cloth to make it come out flat and even. (This could be done in one shot). Then sand flat for painting.

Pictures, please... :confused:

One thing you could do is thicken the epoxy with 406 colloidal silica. And as you mentioned, you could put something plastic like a ziploc over the repair with tape to hold it. Come back and check on the repair after 20 minutes or so to see if it is staying put.

Might be a bit late...

This is sounding like a major crack.

along the bottom and up both sides.

That sounds a lot like a boat about to break in half...
If true, you can't fix that in one shot and would probably need to cut in at least one inspection port for internal bracing to be added.

We definitely need pics and the result might be that you are better off looking for a sound used hull to replace it.

Correct - note West Systems 406 in an "adhesive filler". It's designed for vertical surfaces.

Another option is old school white Marine-Tex. This is "epoxy resin plus filler" and you can mix on the dry end of its 5:1 ratio such that it won't run at all. You can then run a top coat of West Systems with or without a fairing, or "sanding filler", to top it off.

That being said, I agree you have much larger structural problem inside the hull and its best to get a port in there to see what exactly is going on.

Link #1 (West Systems #406): West System 406 Colloidal Silica

Link #2 (Jamestown adhesive filler chart): West System Filler Selection Guide

Link #3 (white Marine-Tex): Marine Tex, epoxy resin, adhesives, silicone grease, engine treatment, cleaner, repair, bond, fill, seal, fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, Starboard, wood

Back