fall/spring sailing gear

tag

my2fish
it's been a weird summer for me - road construction ALL summer directly at the end of my driveway more or less kept me from trailering at all... I didn't want to pull my trailer through 8" to 10" of mud. so sadly, yesterday was my 1st sail of the year. quite windy and gusty, air temp was 55F, water temp probably similar. Michigan fall weather is here.

I had on Neoprene socks and simple sailing shoes (shoes provide no warmth) - but my feet/legs weren't ever really cold, even when standing in the water to rig/launch the boat.
I wore a shorty wetsuit (maybe 3/2mm), with a long sleeved rash guard underneath.
my gloves are a 3/4 finger style pair by Gill - maybe mostly leather, so not great for warmth once they get wet.
overall I wasn't that cold - the biggest issue was cold hands (the gloves) and when water spray hit me (a spray top or jacket might have helped).

I'm not looking to frostbite and I'm not a racer, so probably no need (or budget) for a dry suit - but what are some recommendations for extending the sailing season in the fall, or starting just a bit earlier in the spring? any favorite brands or price points?

I'm thinking of the following:
  • Farmer John wetsuit
  • dinghy spray top (or would a good rain jacket work?)
  • better colder weather gloves (Neoprene?)
  • any other tips?
thanks!

Drysuit. Check Wetsuitoutlet. The Gul suits sell for under $400. No comparison between any wetsuit and a drysuit. Make sure you're not looking at diving drysuits, they are a completely different animal. Sailing, kayaking, surfing drysuits are all suitable.

it's been a weird summer for me - road construction ALL summer directly at the end of my driveway more or less kept me from trailering at all... I didn't want to pull my trailer through 8" to 10" of mud. so sadly, yesterday was my 1st sail of the year. quite windy and gusty, air temp was 55F, water temp probably similar. Michigan fall weather is here.

I had on Neoprene socks and simple sailing shoes (shoes provide no warmth) - but my feet/legs weren't ever really cold, even when standing in the water to rig/launch the boat.
I wore a shorty wetsuit (maybe 3/2mm), with a long sleeved rash guard underneath.
my gloves are a 3/4 finger style pair by Gill - maybe mostly leather, so not great for warmth once they get wet.
overall I wasn't that cold - the biggest issue was cold hands (the gloves) and when water spray hit me (a spray top or jacket might have helped).

I'm not looking to frostbite and I'm not a racer, so probably no need (or budget) for a dry suit - but what are some recommendations for extending the sailing season in the fall, or starting just a bit earlier in the spring? any favorite brands or price points?

I'm thinking of the following:
  • Farmer John wetsuit
  • dinghy spray top (or would a good rain jacket work?)
  • better colder weather gloves (Neoprene?)
  • any other tips?
thanks!
These gloves are amazing. Have sailed with them with temps around 30!-‘d hands stay warm. $20 on Amazon
E6B31CF3-DD71-448B-A236-A3FC325B1C6A.png

and yes, I've used the search function and did review a couple older threads related to the subject.
but as this is a forum, I figured some further discussion wouldn't hurt.

the (University of) Michigan Sailing club has a decent starting list:
Here is a photo from November a couple of years back sailing my Super Sunfish on Orchard Lake (one of the most sailor friendly lakes in SE MI, IMHO). Not a great shot, but you can kinda see what I had on: a waterproof windbreaker with hood, thick water socks and water shoes, and waterproof pants with a few layers underneath. This kept me warm and dry while sailing, but I know if I capsized, this would not keep me 100% dry like a true drysuit would. I would check out what Matt from AdventuresInReach wears as he sailed around Isle Royale in Lake Superior a couple of years ago and capsized more than once and reported staying completely dry with his drysuit.

2022-11-01 Super on Orchard.png

How does those gloves hold up to mainsheet friction? The problem I've had with some gloves is them wearing out so quickly.
So I used one pair for a season of Laser frostbiting, with almost no wear, but the pull on a Laser sheet is much less than a Sunfish.

I just sailed 6 of the 8 races of the SF US masters in a big breeze with the same pair, and no wear so far.

Reactions: tag
I would check out what Matt from AdventuresInReach wears as he sailed around Isle Royale in Lake Superior a couple of years ago and capsized more than once and reported staying completely dry with his drysuit.
Matt has a really nice Kokotat drysuit that he scored at a thrift store for stupidly cheap! He's pretty lean, and it fits him well.

Reactions: tag
I just went on to the Kokatat website to check the drysuits out and holly cow drysuits are not cheap at all. I was thinking I might do frostbite sailing but now I'm not so sure.

I just went on to the Kokatat website to check the drysuits out and holly cow drysuits are not cheap at all. I was thinking I might do frostbite sailing but now I'm not so sure.
You really don't need such an expensive drysuit, although they are nice.

I have been using a Gill one; It's still functional after some four years.
Others in my frostbiting fleet have recommended a Gul one. Also in the $500 range.

Back