extra clamcleat on deck

Is there anything in the rules to prevent me from putting an extra clamcleat on the deck? I'm re-rigging my old style outhaul, running it forward to the mast and through a block tied to the mest, down to the deck and through the cunningham fairlead. Then I'd like to run it back and cleat it on the deck. Would this be legal?

Won't be legal - the rule is written such that it has to be either the builder supplied clamcleat (singular) or the builder supplied dual cleat base with cam cleats.

Now if you don't care about being class legal, but also don't want to create additional holes, you can make a plywood base (3/4" ply) that mounts in the two existing holes and affix two clam or cam cleats to that..

Intensity also has a more professional looking version (but not class legal) http://www.intensitysails.com/cldeupclforo.html

Is there anything in the rules to prevent me from putting an extra clamcleat on the deck?

Yes. The class fundamental rule prevents you from doing anything on a laser that the rules do not specifically permit you to do.

I'm re-rigging my old style outhaul, running it forward to the mast and through a block tied to the mest, down to the deck and through the cunningham fairlead. Then I'd like to run it back and cleat it on the deck. Would this be legal?

No, it's not legal. But you're about two steps from being legal by using the new deck fittings.

Is there anything in the rules to prevent me from putting an extra clamcleat on the deck? I'm re-rigging my old style outhaul, running it forward to the mast and through a block tied to the mest, down to the deck and through the cunningham fairlead. Then I'd like to run it back and cleat it on the deck. Would this be legal?

You could always take it off when legality matters... if you are just sailing around and/or club racing, I doubt very seriously that anyone you would want to sail with would have issues with it.

Back