Downhaul AND Uphaul on Laser Rudder??

Jimmy53

Hi...

I am currently building a rudder (and daggerboard) for an old Laser. (I am making them out of cedar, then epoxy/glassing them). I have no actual rudder to copy, so I am searching the internet for pictures of the rudder. I now have a plan and dimensions, but have a question about the downhaul. I see the hole for the downhaul line, on the upper front edge of the rudder. I assume the line then goes up between the pintels and the rudder blade, then out the front of the rudder head, and to a cleat on the side or top of the tiller. Right?

My real question is: Why no UPhaul line on the other side of the rudder? I could attach another line in the back, run it inside the rudder head as well, and add a second cleat to the tiller. Why no uphaul on the laser rudders? Is the rudder usually light enough that it just kicks up when you hit the beach (or cement boat landing?)? Or, if wooden, will it float up to a horizontal position when the downhaul line is released? Do Laser rudders just end up getting that back edge all beat up along the way? I will not be racing this boat.... so it does not need to be legal.

Any insight into adding an uphaul as long as I am in the process of drilling a hole for the downahaul? Why not?

Thanks.

Jim

I think its so light everyone just reaches over the back and puts a hand under it to lift it up. Although I've seen some super keen people with the bolts done up so tight it wont lift and they have to detach the entire rudder stock when coming into the beach.

I think its so light everyone just reaches over the back and puts a hand under it to lift it up. Although I've seen some super keen people with the bolts done up so tight it wont lift and they have to detach the entire rudder stock when coming into the beach.

I have always had my rudder tight enough so that it can't swing at all. I just remove the rudder before I pull the boat out of the water.

If you are building your own, this would make it simpler. It also gives me an added sense of security knowing that my rudder is all the way down and will stay all the way down.

Back