Dolly Recommendations

Yorkmapper

I'm going to purchase a dolly for the Sunfish. I found four manufacturers. Can you please give me your recommendations? I will be trailering the boat and then using the dolly at various locations. Some places have concrete ramps, some have sandy shores only. I'm pretty sure that I will be bringing the dolly disassembled and assembling it on site. Thanks!
Dolly Makers; Dynamic, JOTAG, Seitech and Tech4Design.

Dynamic. We have 6 of them. They have Delrin bearings in the wheels vs Seitech no bearings. Tubes in the tires, if you want to have a fun day try to air up a tubeless Seitech tire that has come off the rim. Quality materials, all the hardware looks good even after 7+ years of saltwater spray exposure on the Gulf Coast.

We like them so much that we became dealers. If you decide on Dynamic, we can get you one for $545 with free shipping in CONUS, send us a PM. FMI: Sunfish - Dynamic Dollies & Racks

And we do know that the dolly breaks down into two tongue pieces, axle and two tires in minutes. Not sure about the others.

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_5161.JPG

flat tubeless tires that are off the bead are fairly easy to inflate if you put a ratchet strap around the tire and squeeze the tire bead onto the rim. inflat till its seated then remove the strap. works on everything from furniture dollies to car tires.

thats a bad assed sunfish in those pics.

the jotag has foam tires that dont go flat. im looking at dollies too but not sure if i can use one. mostly launch from the trailer at the ramp. but have occasionally bailed out at the local beach. would have been handy there. man that thing folds up really nice though. and that might be its biggest selling point for me.

ill probably pm you in the next couple of weeks for an order.

We did the ratchet strap thing, then decided it was time to move on to a new and different dolly/wheel/tire combo. That was about the time it was getting hard to get Seitech support.

The Seitech has wider, shorter tires than Dynamic. Dynamic offers large wheels as well, for $200 extra. We liked the Seitech dollies that owned, and those tires may be better for lots of loose, deep sand. Our unscientific experiment was that the narrower tires were a little easier to pull, less frontal surface area to mound up sand in front of the tire, and if the sand got super deep and soft, the tires didn't matter, as the person had little traction to pull anyway.

FWIW when you call Dynamic you will talk to Ben or Chris, and they will ship your dolly same day or next day. They did have a backlog at the end of last year due to materials, but when I called them a few weeks back to get a replacement part, they were caught up.

Since I'm bored, let's discuss foam filled tires. That sounds cool and smart. But any time I hear about foam going anywhere, my first thought goes to water retention. All foam will absorb water eventually. Anyone have long term experience with the Jotag?

If you have the option to by tires that are foam filled or solid consider them. Of course that may depend on the surfaces you deal with regularly.

At the yacht club I sail with the tubless tires are always going flat and breaking the bead. The tubed tires will have the tubes split in time as they do not make them well. If you leave them in the sun and the plastic goes white do not attempt to change a tire, even inflating them can cause the rim to blow apart.

Yes, I tried to fix the inflated tires and had minimal luck.

For some folks in the viewing audience the C-Tug may be an option. $149 USD. 300 pound weight limit. I'll have to check to see how long the strap is.

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4614.JPG

We bought one for our canoe and kayaks, and it works great. I have been wondering how it would work on our Fish Fleet.

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

If you're a DIY guy, I made a Sunfish dolly out of mostly PVC pipe, a threaded rod axle, and some tires.

sunfish-pvc-dolly.jpg

I later added a PVC handle to it so you can pull/drag it more easily from the front and the Sunfish can't slip off the dolly.
minifish-on-pvc-dolly.jpg

Sketches for it are on my blog here: sunfish pvc dolly & handle [plans]

That being said... I'm getting really close to just pulling the trigger and ordering a Dynamic dolly from Signal Charlie. The ability to quickly and easily break it down into pieces would be extremely helpful, especially with my current A-frame trailer for pulling 2 Sunfish.

Dynamic. We have 6 of them. They have Delrin bearings in the wheels vs Seitech no bearings. Tubes in the tires, if you want to have a fun day try to air up a tubeless Seitech tire that has come off the rim. Quality materials, all the hardware looks good even after 7+ years of saltwater spray exposure on the Gulf Coast.

We like them so much that we became dealers. If you decide on Dynamic, we can get you one for $545 with free shipping in CONUS, send us a PM. FMI: Sunfish - Dynamic Dollies & Racks

And we do know that the dolly breaks down into two tongue pieces, axle and two tires in minutes. Not sure about the others.

View attachment 49623

View attachment 49624

View attachment 49625

View attachment 49626

Thanks for your help. Do you keep the boat on the V support of the tongue and not the bow up near the handle?

Back