docking tips with onshore wind

MiLLz

Four times I have taken my newly used laser out and 3 times out of those 4 I have had difficulty docking. The wind has been blowing toward the dock every time I go for a sail. Today the breeze was enough that when I finally made it to the dock (nearly crashed) the wind proceeded to beat my boat against it while I fiddled with the rigging. When I was coming toward the dock the boom was out of reach and I could not untie the mainsheet or unhook the clew. If I turn the boat in order to undo the rigging, I am headed toward the center of the lake or the beach instead of the dock.

My beloved laser left the lake with exposed fiberglass today. I am very new at this. Can anyone provide any any tips on their docking procedure with a breezy onshore wind?
Thanks in advance.

If you can't come in to the other side of the dock, then release the clew before landing. Do this by heading up to take the pressure off. The wind will still carry the boat in. Steer the boat with rudder and body weight.

could it be so easy?

Yup, with an onshore wind the resistance caused by a flapping sailing and your body is enough to pull you toward your destination.

Also try "wagging" the tiller, as in moving it sharply from one side to another, that gives the boat slight forward momentum so you can steer.

Dont worry, practice makes perfect!

What a difference a good sailing vocabulary makes with the search engine. I will try these techniques next chance I get. Thanks alot.

Well, you are not the only one with docking issues! Our dock sits 90 degrees to the wind so when I come up underneath, I end up pointing right into the wind, nose in to the dock but the darn thing is 10' in front of me so how do I grab it? I scramble to the bow, nearly capsize and make a mess! If I turn the boat to the side to grab the dock, we start sailing again, even if the main is loose, so I could rip my arm off!

I hear your pain!

I must be lucky then, the club has a slip way to launch off but also has a U shaped pontoon we can launch off as well, so no matter what direction the wind is yut can launch in deep water in any direction

Must buy someone a drink for that idea!

Well, you are not the only one with docking issues! Our dock sits 90 degrees to the wind so when I come up underneath, I end up pointing right into the wind, nose in to the dock but the darn thing is 10' in front of me so how do I grab it? I scramble to the bow, nearly capsize and make a mess! If I turn the boat to the side to grab the dock, we start sailing again, even if the main is loose, so I could rip my arm off!

I hear your pain!

I'm not understanding why the dock is 10' in front of you. Can you draw a picture of the situation? What's the wind speed? Man, what I wouldn't give for steady wind!

I'm not understanding why the dock is 10' in front of you. Can you draw a picture of the situation? What's the wind speed? Man, what I wouldn't give for steady wind!

Well, what I really meant was that the bow of the boat is head to wind with the dock perpendicular so if I was sitting on the bow, I could reach to grab the dock. However I'm back 10' in the cockpit so I do a quick crawl. What I need to practice is letting the sail run free, hope for little windage, and then turn the boat so it nudges the dock on the side for the easy hook up.

I've only had 4 sails so far on this boat so it's my technique that needs work more than anything else. I've been sailing an 18' cat for a long time so turning is way different on that baby when coming in from a sail.

As to steady wind...I sail on the ocean in Socal and we generally get good seabreezes most days with some falloff as the day ends. However last Sunday the wind came up with an attitude and screamed 30-40 and gusts to 60 offshore!

Well, what I really meant was that the bow of the boat is head to wind with the dock perpendicular ...
So, sail head to wind and coast up to the end of the dock and grab it. Step off, then walk it back up the dock on the downwind side.

So, sail head to wind and coast up to the end of the dock and grab it. Step off, then walk it back up the dock on the downwind side.

Yep, that's one way to go as long as I can dodge the big ole pillings at the end! (and then bring the boat back around the concrete! (our ramp is such a delight to launch from!)

A great place for the clew hook. Just blow the vang, head into the wind, spin the hook up with your thumb and the clew is free.

Another very easy option is to let the vang off all the way (it will make getting the clew undone faster later). Then undo the knot at the ratchet block end of the main sheet and let it all the way out. Grab the main sheet as it heads towards the traveler block from the end of the boom (then you can trim in, if you need any speed or steerage). Head DDW (dead down wind) towards the dock with the boom over the bow. Head up with the wind at the beam as you dock. The boat will go very, very slow and you will be able to dock with out any damage. It works great in very high onshore winds.

This has been a very helpful thread for me...I was taught to be "available" for assitance on the dock anytime a boat is approaching to dock. I am amazed at those who just stare at sailors who are trying to dock...alone. I suck at docking a laser, especially ddw...and with bad knees, it's hard for me to crawl around on the deck as I tumble into the dock....outa control. :eek:...although it's got to be funny looking!!

These techniques will be entered into the brain now ....and available for usage!

Thanks, Eric

The techniques I learned on this forum worked great yesterday. Here is what I did: Before I headed toward the dock I raised the daggerboard and I undid the mainsheet at the end of the boom and retied it just behind the first block. I came in down wind nice and slow tugging on the sheet when I lost too much speed and allowing the boom to go ahead of the boat. I'll remember to do a 180 at the end next time, but the wind wasn't blowing that strong so I made it just fine. The only problems I had were watching out for boats and people on the dock getting poked in the eye by my boom and my stopper knot almost popping out of the forward block on the boom. I think next time I will tie a slip knot around the rope. Also, when the wind shifted, the mainsheet wrapped around the boom and I was unable to sheet in so I simply bore off and it all came loose.

I think I will use this technique to launch as well, to avoid the mainsheet catching on the dock at the rear of the boom. Thanks again to all the ideas contributed.

I discovered this weekend that if you have the stock traveler blocks, you can free up the mainsheet by just undoing the traveler blocks at the brummel hooks. easy!

I discovered this weekend that if you have the stock traveler blocks, you can free up the mainsheet by just undoing the traveler blocks at the brummel hooks. easy!

Not sure about this one, your traveller blocks should be taped together so they are one unit. Also you will have a block flying around in the air. Instead just sheet in, grab the stopper knot at the back of the boom, undo that and then just sheet the main all through.

Is there a need to have the blocks connected during docking?
I thought it better to not undo the mainsheet completely until all the way in.
When I pulled the sheet in, the upper block basically stayed connected to the rear boom block and did not fly about.

If the traveller blocks are not taped they can twist and get stuck or separate (usually at the most inappropriate times).

I land on a concrete slip at my club, which can be quite steep at certain points of the tide. When its a strong onshore wind I untie the mainsheet at the end of the boom and pull the line through into the cockpit so that the main is free to do what it likes.
Usually just pointing at shore is then enough to get in with the drag from the main. If the wind dies or I need to adjust my angle of approach more then I grab the kicker and pull the main in slightly to give me better steerage/more speed to control my approach.

Back