Diy Lock Pit?

Newalba

A Laser Sponge.
Has anyone made their own Lock Pit for their Laser out of plywood or other material? At $250, it seems a little expensive.

I have made a few of them out of Marine ply along with dolly stands, non locking spar holders and mast mounted water bottle holders. The 250.00 price for the lockpit is not out of line for what you get.
When I go down to the boat next week I will grab a photo and send it to you.

Has anyone made their own Lock Pit for their Laser out of plywood or other material? At $250, it seems a little expensive.

I've been happily using them for many years and think that they are worth it. When you consider the time and energy you would spend trying to create something workable on your own coupled with the fact that one can keep a $1000 or so of parts from walking away the purchase price isn't that outrageous.

Plus, it pretty much will last forever - I've had mine for years now and it's as good as new.

i dont see the point the rigging and foils fits in the boot of any car ive seen and it does not keep your spars secure and they only hold three spars anyway everyone has 4 or 5 so whats the point if you want to stop people from using your hull just pass a security cable through the daggerboard slot with a D shaped bike lock on and lock the other end to your trailers. or if you want to leave your foils and rigging chain a van vault to your trailer.

Not really seeing a function for a lockpit from the description. Can't see a use/need for such an item but each to their own I guess.

Nothing's a perfect solution - chaining through your centerboard slot, boxes on your trailer, foils in a hot trunk warping etc. all have their pros and cons. This is just another option that is reasonably elegant.

Here's some photos that might help visualize it:
EBP-001.jpg
lock-p1.jpg
lock-p1.jpg

i see the point now so it gets hot enough in the boot (trunk) of a car in the US to warp foils thats insane ive seen warped foils before but they had been left by a radiator i souppose it minght get hot enough here in the middle of summer the only thing is you cant buy theese in the uk but i think i minght make myself one out of some plywood and fibreglass and maybe put something on the top so that the spars can be locked to it.

i see the point now so it gets hot enough in the boot (trunk) of a car in the US to warp foils thats insane ive seen warped foils before but they had been left by a radiator i souppose it minght get hot enough here in the middle of summer the only thing is you cant buy theese in the uk but i think i minght make myself one out of some plywood and fibreglass and maybe put something on the top so that the spars can be locked to it.

I have used a Lockpit for many years and like it very much. One thing it does not do, however, is to prevent dagger board warping. In hot weather the weight of the board on the retaining straps is sufficient to bend the trailing edge. A judicial application of heat from a hair dryer and pressing a straight piece of wood on the trailing edge usually suffices to remove the warps. I now make sure that I put a length of wood along the trailing edge between the board and the retaining straps to spread the weight and have not experienced any warping since.

I have used a Lockpit for many years and like it very much. One thing it does not do, however, is to prevent dagger board warping. In hot weather the weight of the board on the retaining straps is sufficient to bend the trailing edge. A judicial application of heat from a hair dryer and pressing a straight piece of wood on the trailing edge usually suffices to remove the warps. I now make sure that I put a length of wood along the trailing edge between the board and the retaining straps to spread the weight and have not experienced any warping since.

I haven't had that problem but I can see how it could happen. I've used a set of foil protectors like these that help keep me from chipping the tips and edges of my blades, they might help keep the blade from warping too. Of course a piece of wood is going to be cheaper. . .
file_22.JPG

Back