Deck Mounted Block and Cam Cleat

Shawn Z

I am considering mounting a block/cam cleat on my 1964 boat; though I'm not sure if the deck can take the stress. Does anyone have any goods ideas on how to accomplish this without compromising the deck?

I am considering mounting a block/cam cleat on my 1964 boat; though I'm not sure if the deck can take the stress. Does anyone have any goods ideas on how to accomplish this without compromising the deck?

This is how I improved my 1964 Sunfish:
Ratchet Block and Cam (1).JPGRatchet Block and Cam (2).JPGRatchet Block and Cam Underneath.JPG

I added an aluminum support underneath. I bought a flat aluminum strap from the local hardware store and cut off what I needed. When I get to it, I will use the same process when I attach the hiking strap. I am very happy with this setup. I must say though, that on a windy day, I never chance using the cleat. I only use the cleat in light winds or cautiously on a run.

The deck can handle it, and there is enough room to reach under the forward cockpit lip and put small washers and stopnuts on machine screws. The stopnuts help spread the load. Check twice before drilling so you don't drill into hull or drill too close to cockpit lip where there is not enough room to put on stopnut.
Fair winds
Kent

Attachments

• swivel cam cleat.jpg
    swivel cam cleat.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 90
  • swveil cam cleat drill.jpg
    swveil cam cleat drill.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 94
  • swivel cam cleat 3.jpg
    swivel cam cleat 3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
I just use the larger "fender" washers, and then a lock nut. I'm sure an extra flat bar support would help, but I haven't used it on either of my Sunfish.
img0187_072.jpg

Interesting observation, each one of the Sunfish pictured above is missing the cockpit rub rail. Mine is also missing and I was planning on adding it back in. Maybe it isn't worth the effort.

Dan

Interesting observation, each one of the Sunfish pictured above is missing the cockpit rub rail. Mine is also missing and I was planning on adding it back in. Maybe it isn't worth the effort.

Dan
Dan,
My older 1960's era Sunfish (the green one in the pic above) doesn't have the rub rail. My 2000 Sunfish does have it - and quite honestly, I find it more of a pain than anything. It prevented me from installing a cam cleat (like I show in the pic above), and while sailing, it gets bumped and slips down (not off, just down), and there is a scum/dirt build-up behind it that looks gross. I'm pretty tempted to just remove it.

tag

It's the same aluminum trim that's around the edge of the Sunfish but this time around the edge of the cockpit.

What's a cockpit rub rail?:)

In the older boats, that hull edge inside the cockpit was smooth and nicely finished. If you run your finger along it there was no sharp or rough edge, it's rounded. It didn't really need anything covering it.

With the later boats the edge was unfinished, and first aluminum, then plastic edging was used so we wouldn't scrape ourselves or chip the edge. The pastic always seems to be coming off and can be a nuisance, but if it is taken off intentionally it is a good idea to also sand the edge smooth, similar to how ot is on the older boats, so there is no roughness.

Unless the edge is chipping or something I wouldn't rush to add alum or plastic if it wasn't there originally. I'd probably just sand the edge back to original smoothness. In just my opinion, the '60's approach was better.

I've got an old Viking that has the cockpit rub rail. The boat is in awful shape but both sets of rub rails are intact so I've been saving it until I get my sunfish painted and I can transfer them. I still might install the cockpit rub rail because there are holes along the inside edge of the cockpit where the original rivets were located.

I was being a smarta$$ when I asked "What's a cockpit rub rail?:)". I have a 1964 Fish without a rub rail and a 1967 Fish with a rub rail. But the explanations were good.

I just use the larger "fender" washers, and then a lock nut. I'm sure an extra flat bar support would help, but I haven't used it on either of my Sunfish.
View attachment 12472
my2fish
what kind of paint is on your green boat, it looks beautiful!
also what brands are the cam cleat and main sheet rachet?
thanks

Oldfish, the green paint was there when I bought it, so I'm not sure!

The cleat is a Harken H150, and the block is a Harken 2135.

tag

Back