Daggerboard - which style is best to make?

Sailkb

I've decided to try making my own daggerboard and have found tons of good info searching the forum. One question I do have; Most who have posted information about making your own daggerboard seem to be making the Barrington style, which I believe is pictured below left. Why not make the racing board?.... even though it would not be Class legal, would it help the boat perform better? It also seems a little easier to shape; maybe more sanding, but I have equipment for that. Or, should I stick with the traditional board for my 60's boat used for recreational sailing? Any thoughts are appreciated before I start hacking away.

daggerboard.png

By all means, copy the 'racing' board (aka the 'plastic fantastic'); Fig 4. I remember seeing one of those offered (in wood) in the For Sale section.

Just search the Forum and you will find plenty of support for the above opinion.

PS: the current version of the racing board doesn't have the big hole anymore; perhaps that should make it easier to copy.

Thanks for the emphatic response. Between a very limited budget and just the challenge, I'm anxious to try making my own. Good news that the large hole is not necessary. I guess I will just need the rubber stopper and a small hole for the shock cord.

Reactions: tag

Back