Daggerboard misfit

bmacd

I've bought a very old used sunfish and after 30 years am enjoying this great little watercraft again. However, the daggerboard that came with the boat does not fit the slot. When inserted snugly it leaves 10 inches or so of daggerboard above the deck. I plan to carefully sand/plane the board to get a complete insertion. However, my fear is that I will get it too tight and have a daggerboard stuck in the slot, or too loose, and have a daggerboard that needs help in staying put under sail. Is there any experience out there with this problem that might help me?
Thanks

The daggerboard you have is probably not a genuine Sunfish board, but with some careful planing and sanding you can probably get it to fit. Just reshape it a little bit at a time, insert it into the trunk and keep going until you have the desired fit. When you are satisfied with the fit, sand with 220 grit sandpaper, varnish, and you are good to go.

To be candid, the fit of most wood Sunfish daggerboards is pretty sloppy with a lot of play fore and aft and side to side, so don't worry if you don't get a perfect fit.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks for the response. I remember the daggerboard in my original Sunfish in the late 60's maybe early 70"s was a bit sloppy, as you say. I think it more or less stayed put though, thanmks to the brass spring things at the top.

Back