Cunningham caught

hollysea

Wondering if anyone runs the Cunningham line(upgrade version) through the space behind the mast pin to prevent it from getting caught in between the boom and the pin while sailing? Other solutions?

Wondering if anyone runs the Cunningham line(upgrade version) through the space behind the mast pin to prevent it from getting caught in between the boom and the pin while sailing? Other solutions?

I'm trying to picture what you mean, but I can't.

"Through the space behind the mast pin." What exactly is that?

****, just realized you meant gooseneck.

No, I wouldn't do it. You'd probably be restricting the movement, and when the breeze is on, putting a ton of wear on your line.

It doesn't really happen that often, so reaching up pull it out if it happens would be my only solution.

Yes - that's my current solution, but it happens constantly and it is wearing the line out there and preventing adjustment if I don't realize it is caught...

That's pretty neat. The line for the outhaul blocks just being there would probably stop it enough.

I don't know how you can really avoid it if you rig your outhaul at the back of the boom, though.

On my old sail, I run both the Cunningham lines on the port side of the boom. That way you can pull the eye way down to the boom in a blow.

The outhaul blocks are on the starboard side so there's no interference.

On my old sail, I run both the Cunningham lines on the port side of the boom. That way you can pull the eye way down to the boom in a blow.

The outhaul blocks are on the starboard side so there's no interference.

I'd advise against running the cunningham all on one side.

I'd advise against running the cunningham all on one side.

I only put it on one side if I know I need to crank on the cunningham like previously stated.

to the OP, What I would do is run the line between the lines of the outhaul. That way one line will prevent it from getting stuck in the gooseneck.

I only put it on one side if I know I need to crank on the cunningham like previously stated.

to the OP, What I would do is run the line between the lines of the outhaul. That way one line will prevent it from getting stuck in the gooseneck.

You can still crank it on when it's on both sides, you just stop it from all pulling to one side...

It's never failed myself or the other guys I train with in 25 knots.

You can still crank it on when it's on both sides, you just stop it from all pulling to one side...

It's never failed myself or the other guys I train with in 25 knots.

The problem is that you can't pull the sail down below the boom. When it gets really windy, I have to get the grommet down below the top of the boom. Putting it on both sides only allows you to go to the top of the boom, no further.

The problem is that you can't pull the sail down below the boom. When it gets really windy, I have to get the grommet down below the top of the boom. Putting it on both sides only allows you to go to the top of the boom, no further.

If you have a new(er) sail and can/are pulling the grommet down past the boom, then I don't know what to say.

I try to avoid that but if it's survival conditions, you gotta do what you gotta do.

.....Exactly.

Well. One NAs, it got up to an actual 30-35 gusting to around 38 and before the start, I just used both hands and pulled my cunningham down as far as possible. I can't remember if it hit the boom, or if it did, it did so just barely.

It's really dependent on the age of the sail.

Depending on the situation, if I need more cunningham for those conditions, then yeah, I might switch to one side on the water.

Do you guys use the full purchase in your cunningham, or only the single blocks?

I always run my cunningham down one side of the boom. Even with a new sail if its very windy I can pull enough cunningham on that it needs to be rigged this way.

I always run my cunningham down one side of the boom. Even with a new sail if its very windy I can pull enough cunningham on that it needs to be rigged this way.

If I'm recalling correctly from my Radial days, it was much easier to do this with the Radial than it is with the full.

Well. One NAs, it got up to an actual 30-35 gusting to around 38 and before the start, I just used both hands and pulled my cunningham down as far as possible. I can't remember if it hit the boom, or if it did, it did so just barely.

It's really dependent on the age of the sail.

Depending on the situation, if I need more cunningham for those conditions, then yeah, I might switch to one side on the water.

Do you guys use the full purchase in your cunningham, or only the single blocks?

I use the full purchase, been thinking about reducing it though.

Yah Clay's setup is kinda what I would go for. Just need to make sure I can pull it as far as I'm used to.

That's really the only setup you can go for without changing other things.

As for pulling it in: It's really not that much more difficult. It's barely noticeable, actually.

I don't attach it to my vang at the bottom, either.

http://claysails.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=330

Clay Johnson who won US Nationals this year, does it this way, which I like also... probably worth a try if its really a problem

What Clay has done does not deal with the pinching of the cunningham line on the section that matters. The side that he runs thru the loop never moves, so it doesn't matter if it gets pinched.

The other side is the part you want to avoid getting pinched. What seems most effective is to move the bottom block of the cunningham off the top of the vang and instead tie it around the mast, under the bottom of the vang fitting. This moves the block forward and outside just enough to keep the cunningham out of the gooseneck/boom joint (and has the added benefit of giving you a couple more inches of adjustment for those of you that really need to crank on the cunningham)

What Clay has done does not deal with the pinching of the cunningham line on the section that matters. The side that he runs thru the loop never moves, so it doesn't matter if it gets pinched.

The other side is the part you want to avoid getting pinched. What seems most effective is to move the bottom block of the cunningham off the top of the vang and instead tie it around the mast, under the bottom of the vang fitting. This moves the block forward and outside just enough to keep the cunningham out of the gooseneck/boom joint (and has the added benefit of giving you a couple more inches of adjustment for those of you that really need to crank on the cunningham)

This would be exactly what I do. Works great.

Back