capsizing

lilcumpi

I recently encountered a problem when I was out racing the other day. I was on a run when I death rolled. I couldn't get the boat to turn around to head upwind to pull the boat back up without the safety boat. Any ideas of how to recover the boat after a downwind capsize?

Was the boom in the water or up in the air ? If it's up in the air, that partially filled sail will tend to keep the boat headed downwind, especially when you start to right the boat. You need to grab the mainsheet and pull the boom down to the water so the whole sail is in the water.

ahh ok thank you, yea the boom was in the air so every time I tried to turn the boat to windward it was just sailing off downwind

I'm still wondering the fastest way to get back up after a death roll. I can get it back up, by pulling the boom down with the mainsheet, and then right the boat, but then it's just gonna come back over again since I'm on the wrong side, so I have to swim around and re-right it. I suppose I could do a California roll, but that's still two rightings instead of one. Is there a better way?

PS: I had a lot of practice at this last Friday since it was windier than I'm used to and I was death rolling constantly. According to a guy I talked to, I was sheeting out too much when bearing away, and without enough vang.

If the boats going to flip, I bounce my weight on the board using one arm, (I'm in the water, not on the board) whilst holding onto the gunnell in the water (this only works when its windy enough to lift the rig once you've bounced it high enough). The boat will come up fast and want to flip. Keep hold of the gunnel, letting the boat roll over you, do not let go of the gunnel. Your weight should be enough to prevent the boat actually capsizing and it should be a quick climb in and sail off.
Even if it does actually capsize you usually land on the board so again a much quicker recovery than having to swim around.

When I death roll, I just accept that righting the boat will be a two-step process. After getting the boom down in the water, I go ahead and right the boat with the mast to windward. It flips completely over the otherway, with the mast pointed to leeward. I then swim around and do a normal righting. I find this easier than trying to swim the boat around.

As the wind catches the sail I dive through under the boom and fine myself already sat on the windward side of the boat. Sheet in and go! Takes a few goes to get right but once you do it is much faster.

Back